View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wed, Dec. 5, 2012 7:15-9:00pm "Be Like That Guy"

Rate this Entry
We had our awards ceremony starting around 6:30pm tonight for the meet last night. Luckily John flew through the group of people who were there, and just highlighted a thing or two about each person, 'cause we could've been a while. We had 112 swimmers, twice as much as the 2nd place team, yet beat them by 3 times as many points!!

John told the group that he likes my work ethic, and my competitive spirit in practices. I'm always there pushing the kids that are more than 1/2 my age, giving him more leverage when the kids start complaining about the sets getting too hard.

7:15pm
Warmup:

800 Free
(800/800)

18 x 50 Kick w/ fins & board (did w/o fins)
  • 6 @ :50 - made them
  • 6 @ :45 - made 4 of them, skipped #11, made #12
  • 6 @ :40 - did 4 of these, but didn't make the interval whatsoever!
(750/1550)

We got separated into different lanes based on who is going to the Senior State meet in Federal Way, and who is there to work hard (not tapering). I'm in the work hard group.

Main Set - Be Like That Guy (way too much backstroke):

3 Rounds of 4 x 200 Choice of Stroke @ 5:30 FAST, but all 4 in each round are the same.
  • Round 1 - Did Backstroke (2:30/2:25/2:22/2:25) - my time in the meet was 2:20.xx
  • Round 2 - Did Backstroke (2:35ish) legs getting tired
  • Round 3 - Did Backstroke (2:35/2:30/2:30) On #2 and #3 I challenged an 11 year old boy who was doing freestyle in the next lane over to race. He beat me, but not by much.
On the final 200 of Round 3, all kinds of challenges started being issued up and down the pool, including from a girl who was doing freestyle and was way faster than my backstroke. I agreed, but said I'd be doing FLY to attempt to win the challenge.
By this point the pool was pretty empty, so John spread us out across the 6 lanes, and I got my own lane, along with the girl doing freestyle in the lane next to me. It was on!! 35 year old flyer vs. 12 year old freestyler girl.
Approaching the 75 turn, I was dead and wanted to quit, but knew I couldn't with all that was at stake. Just tried to maintain my breathing pattern and push on. Turns sucked, SDKs off the walls were non-existent. 150 down, 50 to go, she was just about tied with me, and we raced to the 175 together. Coming off the final wall I gave it all I could, and somehow managed to feel good doing it. Coach John was loving it! The 12 year old went a 2:14, just missing her lifetime best of 2:13, and I went a 2:12, just one second slower than the 2:11 I did in the meet last Saturday! Sometimes these challenges bring out the best in people, especially when you don't have a lot of prep time to think about them.

200 EZ
(2600/4150)

4 x 25 Sprint Kick w/ board @ 1:00 FAST

150 EZ and out

--------------------
4400 Yards

Submit "Wed, Dec. 5, 2012 7:15-9:00pm "Be Like That Guy"" to Digg Submit "Wed, Dec. 5, 2012 7:15-9:00pm "Be Like That Guy"" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed, Dec. 5, 2012 7:15-9:00pm "Be Like That Guy"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed, Dec. 5, 2012 7:15-9:00pm "Be Like That Guy"" to Google

Comments

"Be Like That Guy"
    Now you've done it...
    John told the group that he likes my work ethic, and my competitive spirit in practices. I'm always there pushing the kids that are more than 1/2 my age, giving him more leverage when the kids start complaining about the sets getting too hard.
    Awesome. Keep showing the young guns how to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Now you've done it...
    I figured suicide by laughter is okay for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy