View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Day 1, NE SCM Champs

Rate this Entry
I am really happy with today's events, especially considering I was only in the water 3 out of the last 8 days before the meet. Minor glitches in every race, as there so often are, but I seemed to do better as the day went on.

100 IM, 1:12.2

My first big mistake right off the bat. I dove in and my hands separated on the dive with my left arm going down to my waist. I'm not sure this has ever happened to me on a start in a meet ... not at BU anyway. The same thing had happened to me earlier in warm up. So I spent some time wondering if I had been DQ'd, though this must be virtually impossible for officials to see. It certainly made me slower and took away my best weapon (my start and initial SDK). I soldiered on. Didn't feel that great on the last length. Last year, I was 1:11.99 here. I almost certainly would have been faster without that initial mishap, so was pleased with the end result especially given the stomach issues of the week. And it is still my 3rd fastest time of my masters career.

50 free, 27.91, PR, NR

My free felt very good in warm up, so I was optimistic, just a bit spooked about the start. Oddly, I was not really set on the start. I thought the starter said "stand," but quickly saw that he had not and got back down only an instant before the gun went off. I'm not sure the miscue hindered me as I still got off the blocks faster than the adjacent lanes. Definitely took a good look at the wall, , and without thinking took a breath quickly off the turn. I usually take one half way on the second length. Happily, my mental error mattered not. I touched in my best time ever, faster than my B70 swims. This had been my focus event for the meet; I've done much more AFAP freestyle in practice this fall with my shoulder better. I was still really surprised and thrilled. As Ande would say, the NR was "soft" and woud eventually be broken. I am no less delighted. My first NR in a non-dolphin kick event!

100 fly, 1:09.3, PR

I went thought the usual mental process of whether I should scratch this event. . I was tired and happy after the 50 free. And was also wondering whether perhaps a sickness taper was good for 50s, but not so much for 100s. But everyone else seemed like they were dreading it too, so I had company. And I thoroughly surprised myself! This is .5 faster than my B70 time from 2009. Last year at this meet, I went a 1:11. The race went well except that I swallowed a huge mouthful of water going into my third turn. I didn't get as much air as I wanted and couldn't SDK as far as I normally do off that wall. I definitely died the last 15 meters despite going out in what I thought was easy speed. I was just shocked when I looked at the clock. Karlyn later told me I swam a "ballsy race" because I was a tad ahead of her at the 75. The truth is that I never saw her or even looked for her because I assumed, based on her times and seed that she'd beat me by several seconds in SCM. I guess I have learned to swim my own races. I was astonished to beat AJ Block, lanes away, who beat me in yards at nationals. For the third event swim of the day, this is fantastic for me. This time makes me much more excited to do this race in yards! More easy speed or ultra fly in practice.

-----------------------------------------------------

A nice dinner after with fellow bloggers SwimStud, Mike and Tim and drinks at the hotel with Stud. Stud gets kudos for helping into my uncomfortable Arena closed back suit. I switched into an open back suit during my 2.5+ hour break before 100 fly and was much more comfy. Hoping for a little shut eye. But my hotel room is very warm. Who woud think I'd have to open my window in Dec. in Boston?!

I think I will scratch the 100 free fairly early tomorrow. Don't need to do a split request and would rather swim the 100, if I want to, at the end of the meet in the 200 rather than before the 50 back.

Submit "Day 1, NE SCM Champs" to Digg Submit "Day 1, NE SCM Champs" to del.icio.us Submit "Day 1, NE SCM Champs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day 1, NE SCM Champs" to Google

Updated December 8th, 2012 at 10:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice job! I think it would be more exciting to us out here in blog-land if you race the whole 200 Free tomorrow!
    It looks like you were only about a tenth of a second off the WR in the 50 free. The world record published on the FINA website is 27.81. Maybe you should do a split request in the 100 after all!
    Way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    It looks like you were only about a tenth of a second off the WR in the 50 free. The world record published on the FINA website is 27.81. Maybe you should do a split request in the 100 after all!
    After knowing this, I vote for the split request as well! Go get it!

Awesome!
    Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job! I think it would be more exciting to us out here in blog-land if you race the whole 200 Free tomorrow!
    Ha! My training is not conducive to fast 200s. And I am not a freestyler. And I am not stupid.
    Well, shoot, I had no idea what the WR was. Too late though, I slept in and will miss positive check in for the 100. I'm pretty sore today though. Maybe I'll focus on it for the Albatross meet in March.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Well, shoot, I had no idea what the WR was. Too late though, I slept in and will miss positive check in for the 100. I'm pretty sore today though. Maybe I'll focus on it for the Albatross meet in March.
    Positive checkin for a 100??? Do that many people really skip out on this? Think of all the minutes they're saving by reseeding these. Must be at least 3.
    Wow Fort - 27.91 scm. sw converter = 25.29 scy. hope the rest goes as well.
    Leslie just posted on FB that she set a NR in the 50 breast today!!

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Positive checkin for a 100??? Do that many people really skip out on this? Think of all the minutes they're saving by reseeding these. Must be at least 3.
    I'm all for positive checkin on the last day of any multi-day meet. I hate seeing all those open lanes toward the end of the meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Every event is positive check in. It definitely makes the meet run faster with no empty lanes. There's not really any delay by doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Thanks Bill! Today went very well. Probably my best meet since March 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    The Great Bay Masters convert, which I prefer for masters over the USS converter, has it at 24.67 in SCY.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw

Awesome!
    Thanks Ellen! I'm super happy.
    Leslie just posted on FB that she set a NR in the 50 breast today!!

I'm all for positive checkin on the last day of any multi-day meet. I hate seeing all those open lanes toward the end of the meet!
    Positive check in seems to work great at this meet. No delay and no empty lanes. The number of heats go down the second half of day two, so you know there are people scratching.

I was shocked, really shocked, by the 50 breast. It was a perfect race with everything executed well. . I had thought maybe I woud never PR agin in this event without the tech suits. But I do a good amount of the evil in practice these days.
    "only in the water 3 out of the last 8 days before the meet."
    whoa, not much

100 IM
    "dove in and my hands separated on the dive with my left arm going down to my waist."
    too funny, you shoulda been deeked,
    hate when stuff like that that happens
    nice time despite

50 free, 27.91,
    congrats on your PR & NR
    weird start
    I need to do much more AFAP freestyle in practice
    "As Ande would say, the NR was "soft" and woud eventually be broken."
    thanks for mentioning me, you made it tougher for the next gal
    I am delighted for you. how many SDKs off your start & turn?

100 fly
    a sickness taper cause more worry
    it's awesome to be thoroughly surprised
    hate swallowing a huge mouthfuls of water
    hate definitely dying and encourage you to consider easy speed fly on the 1st 50
    (lots of air/save your legs then pound the 2nd 50 trying to keep your 50's less than 2.5 sec apart)
    nice compliment from Karlyn
    cool you beat AJ Block
    More easy speed in practice
    what's "ultra fly?"

what did you think about the ultra uncomfortable Arena closed back suit?
    hate warm hotel rooms

way to go
    Thanks Ande!

50 free = 7-8 SDK on start and 5-6 off the turn. I still think I can go faster. It was a weird start; I couldn't hear the starter clearly.

100 fly = I did think I was taking it out easy speed. Perhaps I should do less kicking in the 100 fly, but I feel like it's my arms that die, not my legs. This is just a hard event for the 50+ crowd. I'm not sure I want to train more for it, though this time in SCM makes me feel better about swimming it in SCY.

I like the Arena suits, but I seem to be inbetween two sizes, one slightly too big one slightly too small. This one was slightly too small, I changed into my Arena open back X-Glide for the remainder of the meet. The Arena leg/waist compression seems much better than the Speedo LZR Elite to me. Though the LZR Elite fits much better on top.