View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

WI masters SCM meet

Rate this Entry
by , December 9th, 2012 at 10:53 AM (514 Views)
Wow... I'm stiff today. Yesterday we had the only SCM meet of the season for Wisconsin Masters... and it was my first meet ever; a lot of fun. Folks were super supportive and I was shocked at the strong turnout. Even with the strong attendance, though, there were few enough people in my age group that I had a chance to place in each of the events I entered; this is nice considering I'm a late-comer to swimming and my times still look pretty slow! I was pretty happy with my personal results; all freestyle events:

100M = 3rd 40-44M (1:24.30)
200M = 2nd " " (3:03.98)
1500M = 2nd " " (26:53.29)

I didn't know if I would get into the 1500 until Thursday this week (they had a limit of 12), so I signed up for some of the shorter events just to give it a try. I was happy I did, because I was able to get those starts and pre-race jitters under control by the time I finally got to my goal event. And I'm happy also to know, more or less, what my SCM times look like for the 100 and 200. Initially I was a little disappointed based on my SCY practice times, until someone pointed out there should be about a 10% difference... makes sense. That would put me in the mid to upper 1:10s for 100 SCY and upper 2:40s for 200 SCY, which is where I thought I might be.

I really didn't know where I was going to be for that 1500, but based on my broken 1650 a few weeks ago (about 26:30) I was going to be happy with anything between 26 and 27 minutes. I felt pretty relaxed the whole time and was able to push it in the last couple hundred. Now I have a time set at that distance, so I can start working to improve!

My friend Scotty swam the 200 and 1500 free also; he placed 1st in the 1500 for our age group. Since we're in the same age group we probably shouldn't be swimming too many of the same events together b/c we limit our chances at placing, but it was good to be swimming next to him in an event like the 200, where I really had no idea what to expect... helped reduce the anxiety level.

Actually, I did expect the lactic acid burn in the 200M (it's comparable to the 800M run in track) and probably shouldn't have tried to do it and the 1500 on the same day, but I signed up for it not knowing I was going to get into the 1500. I swam the first 100 of the 200 in 1:25 and then just tried to relax and bring it in hard for the last half... then I made sure to get a long cool down in after that. It would be a couple of hours before the 1500, so I was able to take in the rest of the meet at that point, which was a lot of fun.

I'll have to stop now, but I could go on and on. Two years ago I couldn't have imagined myself lining up on the blocks getting ready to sprint a 100 in a swim meet... now I wonder why I haven't been doing it all along!

Submit "WI masters SCM meet" to Digg Submit "WI masters SCM meet" to del.icio.us Submit "WI masters SCM meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "WI masters SCM meet" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats on the meet. Now you just need to get going on another one!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Congrats on the meet. Now you just need to get going on another one!
    Yes! We have a full slate of SCY meets in the winter/spring for WI, so I'm looking forward to more opportunities to swim.

Way to go, Alex! Excited that you swam fast, but more importantly had fun in your first race.
    Good job Alex especially for a first meet. Seems those miles are working for yah. Hope you can get your splits, especially for the 200 and 1500 to see how you swam. For me that is always the most interesting part, espeically if you can remember what/how you were thinking, feelling, and attempting during the swim. I've always thought a racing journal with the splits would be a good idea, but haven't started it yet.
    I was surprised to experience DOMs and sore calves the next day too - funny that never happened when i was 18 after meets, wth
    Way to go!
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Good job Alex especially for a first meet. Seems those miles are working for yah. Hope you can get your splits, especially for the 200 and 1500 to see how you swam. For me that is always the most interesting part, espeically if you can remember what/how you were thinking, feelling, and attempting during the swim. I've always thought a racing journal with the splits would be a good idea, but haven't started it yet.
    I was surprised to experience DOMs and sore calves the next day too - funny that never happened when i was 18 after meets, wth
    Yep, DOMS is no joke when you're no longer in the 0-18 age group. I've got some of my splits from the shorter races, but look forward to seeing the results and splits from the 1500 when they post them online.
    Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! I really appreciate it!
    Way to go!!! Great swims!