View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Day 2, NE SCM Champs

Rate this Entry
by , December 10th, 2012 at 10:42 AM (1847 Views)
100 free, scratch

I didn't realize until late last night when I read Kirk's post that I had just missed the WR in the 50 free by .1. Still, I was aiming for a good night's sleep and opted to miss positive check in. And, honestly, I have a track record of doing better in the 50 free when it's not the first event of the day. Sometimes I nail the first event; but equally often it's a "get the cobwebs" out swim. I also wanted to put my remaining energy into my other swims. (This is sprinter think.)

50 back, 30.8

Very solid time, but it felt like a cobwebs event. I had a sub-par start and very glidely turn. The grab bar for backstroke is low at BU and I really dislike that. I need to figure out a way to not flat back this type of start. And flags simply bedevil me in SCM for backstroke. My SDK + stroke count is perfect for yards flags. I'm either gliding in or jamming it in SCM where I need another half stroke, not a full stroke. This was .2 slower than when I led off the medley relay 2 weeks ago, so I do have a faster time this year. Still, anytime you're under 31 that's fast. And I am now well accustomed to the fact that execution is everything in 50s.

50 breast, 36.92, PR/NR

WTH?! You cannot imagine my shock when I looked up and saw this time! It felt faster than 2 weeks ago when I swam a 38.2, but still. This time, unlike the 50 back, race execution was almost perfect. I had probably my best blasto start of the meet, a monster UW pullout, hit my walls well, and no floating up to the top after a pullout. Not being an evilstroker, I wasn't really sure what the national record was. Karlyn looked it up for me. I'm thinking some of that bungee cordz/parachute work paid off! Because this is a somewhat off event and I had a time this year, I was also extremely relaxed before the event. Very often, I have excellent times when this is the case.

100 free split in 200 free, 1:04.21, PR

I was so happy after my 50 breast that I was ready to call it a meet. But I have had this goal of trying to swim all 4 50s, all 4 100s and the 100 IM this season in SCM. This was my only chance to swim the 100 free, so, encouraged by SwimStud, I decided to swim it. I haven't swum this race since 2006 (1:06 at the very end of this same meet) ... I almost never race the 100 free. So I was somewhat unsure of a race strategy. I took 9-10 SDKs on the start and 5-6 off each turn. Stud said all my breakouts were smooth, and they felt that way. I guess doing the ins & outs in practice helped. I breathed doubles the whole way, with a single thrown in a bit before the turn on the second and third length. Splits were 30.6/33.6, pretty good for me, especially given the fact that I was tired and my muscles were screaming at me the second 50. The 100 free really isn't so bad with the SDKs. Now I want to do it in yards! Right now, this time is #1, helped along by the fact that some other speedy freestylers like Eney have been injured or whatnot.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Overall, this is definitely my best meet of the year! Maybe my best meet since March 2011. I had 4 PRs. While I was thrilled with my two NRs, I was also extremely pleased with my 100 fly and 100 free. 100 IM was probably my worst event with that debacle on the start. Suffice to say, I am a fan of the lay on the couch for a week before your meet taper! I may re-think future tapers somewhat. I had thought it was not ideal to be out of the water the week before a meet. I was only in the water 3 of 8 days before the meet, but it seemed to have little ill effect.

I don't feel quite as exhausted and sore as usual after a two day meet, but I may be still on a high! It is very cool having the NRs in all four 50s. As a bonus, my NR in the 100 backstroke survived the meet!

Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to Digg Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to del.icio.us Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to Google

Updated December 12th, 2012 at 11:11 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Having the records in all 4 50's is super impressive!! very inspiring!! Congrats on a great meet!!
    And flags simply bedevil me in SCM for backstroke. My SDK + stroke count is perfect for yards flags. I'm either gliding in or jamming it in SCM where I need another half stroke, not a full stroke.
    I totally blew the finish of my 50 back and I am blaming the metric system as well. I had time to let out a string of expletives while gliding in, so I know it cost me.
    Quote Originally Posted by psyncw
    Having the records in all 4 50's is super impressive!! very inspiring!! Congrats on a great meet!!
    Thanks Neill! I am stoked about it. The BU meet always agrees with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I totally blew the finish of my 50 back and I am blaming the metric system as well. I had time to let out a string of expletives while gliding in, so I know it cost me.
    Yep, I did the same thing 2 weeks ago -- glided in with expletives. Yesterday, I took an extra stroke and jammed the finish. What's a girl to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    50 breast, 36.92, PR/NR
    Stellar swim and I still think you have a tad more in there...
    Nice job!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Stellar swim and I still think you have a tad more in there...
    You are one of those breaststrokers who are born, not made. I am the latter, faking it as best I can. Beauty of the stroke is pretty elusive for me, especially doing so much breast dolphin in practice. I live by the clock on the evilstroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!!
    Thanks James!
    National Records in all four 50s is beyond amazing. Just majorly awesome.
    Congratulations, Leslie! What a fantastic meet for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    National Records in all four 50s is beyond amazing. Just majorly awesome.
    Thanks Patrick! I never ever thought that would happen and it is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Congratulations, Leslie! What a fantastic meet for you.
    Thanks Speedo! My training worked out better for my 100s than I expected. I will carry on doing lots of broken 100s. And more AFAP 25 & 50 frees.
    Wow! Congrats on a great meet!

good job Fort
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You are one of those breaststrokers who are born, not made. I am the latter, faking it as best I can.
    This is no time for modesty, you should get a tattoo on your inner wrist that reads "MS4X50SCMNR."

Get you inner Thornton on and bask in your magnificence...
    Great news on that 50 breast
    You're making me wish I had stuck around to see you swim, and even done it myself.

And I was so tempted to sign you in for the 100 free. Positive check in can work in mysterious ways
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    This is no time for modesty, you should get a tattoo on your inner wrist that reads "MS4X50SCMNR."

Get you inner Thornton on and bask in your magnificence...
    It took me a minute to decipher that acronym!

I think it's virtually impossible for anyone to bask like Jim basks ... But I am still on an adult cloud nine.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great news on that 50 breast
    You're making me wish I had stuck around to see you swim, and even done it myself.

And I was so tempted to sign you in for the 100 free. Positive check in can work in mysterious ways
    You should have!

You could have checked me in, but there would have been an empty lane. I already had my race plan in my head.

Great swimming this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    Wow! Congrats on a great meet!
    Thanks John!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy

good job Fort
    50 SDK sounds pretty sweet!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast