View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Day 2, NE SCM Champs

Rate this Entry
by , December 10th, 2012 at 10:42 AM (1857 Views)
100 free, scratch

I didn't realize until late last night when I read Kirk's post that I had just missed the WR in the 50 free by .1. Still, I was aiming for a good night's sleep and opted to miss positive check in. And, honestly, I have a track record of doing better in the 50 free when it's not the first event of the day. Sometimes I nail the first event; but equally often it's a "get the cobwebs" out swim. I also wanted to put my remaining energy into my other swims. (This is sprinter think.)

50 back, 30.8

Very solid time, but it felt like a cobwebs event. I had a sub-par start and very glidely turn. The grab bar for backstroke is low at BU and I really dislike that. I need to figure out a way to not flat back this type of start. And flags simply bedevil me in SCM for backstroke. My SDK + stroke count is perfect for yards flags. I'm either gliding in or jamming it in SCM where I need another half stroke, not a full stroke. This was .2 slower than when I led off the medley relay 2 weeks ago, so I do have a faster time this year. Still, anytime you're under 31 that's fast. And I am now well accustomed to the fact that execution is everything in 50s.

50 breast, 36.92, PR/NR

WTH?! You cannot imagine my shock when I looked up and saw this time! It felt faster than 2 weeks ago when I swam a 38.2, but still. This time, unlike the 50 back, race execution was almost perfect. I had probably my best blasto start of the meet, a monster UW pullout, hit my walls well, and no floating up to the top after a pullout. Not being an evilstroker, I wasn't really sure what the national record was. Karlyn looked it up for me. I'm thinking some of that bungee cordz/parachute work paid off! Because this is a somewhat off event and I had a time this year, I was also extremely relaxed before the event. Very often, I have excellent times when this is the case.

100 free split in 200 free, 1:04.21, PR

I was so happy after my 50 breast that I was ready to call it a meet. But I have had this goal of trying to swim all 4 50s, all 4 100s and the 100 IM this season in SCM. This was my only chance to swim the 100 free, so, encouraged by SwimStud, I decided to swim it. I haven't swum this race since 2006 (1:06 at the very end of this same meet) ... I almost never race the 100 free. So I was somewhat unsure of a race strategy. I took 9-10 SDKs on the start and 5-6 off each turn. Stud said all my breakouts were smooth, and they felt that way. I guess doing the ins & outs in practice helped. I breathed doubles the whole way, with a single thrown in a bit before the turn on the second and third length. Splits were 30.6/33.6, pretty good for me, especially given the fact that I was tired and my muscles were screaming at me the second 50. The 100 free really isn't so bad with the SDKs. Now I want to do it in yards! Right now, this time is #1, helped along by the fact that some other speedy freestylers like Eney have been injured or whatnot.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Overall, this is definitely my best meet of the year! Maybe my best meet since March 2011. I had 4 PRs. While I was thrilled with my two NRs, I was also extremely pleased with my 100 fly and 100 free. 100 IM was probably my worst event with that debacle on the start. Suffice to say, I am a fan of the lay on the couch for a week before your meet taper! I may re-think future tapers somewhat. I had thought it was not ideal to be out of the water the week before a meet. I was only in the water 3 of 8 days before the meet, but it seemed to have little ill effect.

I don't feel quite as exhausted and sore as usual after a two day meet, but I may be still on a high! It is very cool having the NRs in all four 50s. As a bonus, my NR in the 100 backstroke survived the meet!

Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to Digg Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to del.icio.us Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day 2, NE SCM Champs" to Google

Updated December 12th, 2012 at 11:11 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    50 SDK sounds pretty sweet!
    And don't forget about the 50 IM.

The other day in practice my coach gave us a set of 16 x 50s IM, meaning that we do 4 of each stroke in IMOrder. I of course asked "Now do you want us to do a 12.5 of each stroke?"
    Great catching up with you guys this weekend and seeing first-hand the awesomeness of your underwater swimming! I don't think that smile will be disappearing after such fast swims for a long while. Way to go, Leslie!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    And don't forget about the 50 IM.

The other day in practice my coach gave us a set of 16 x 50s IM, meaning that we do 4 of each stroke in IMOrder. I of course asked "Now do you want us to do a 12.5 of each stroke?"
    I haven't forgotten about those. 50 fly-back sounds the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great catching up with you guys this weekend and seeing first-hand the awesomeness of your underwater swimming! I don't think that smile will be disappearing after such fast swims for a long while. Way to go, Leslie!
    Thanks Mike! It sounds like you are making great strides in underwater swimming as well! I'm sure you will be smiling as well after 9 PRs!
    Awesome swimming, Leslie! Congratulations!

You may continue to call it evil, but your breaststroke is a force to be reckoned with.
    Leslie, i have some SPF 30, which works well to protect me when I bask. But you might need a stronger lotion. I recommend SPF 170000000. And some Zinc Oxide on your cute little nose! Congratulations on temporarily reclaiming 'best athlete in your family and most of the country' for the next couple months!
    Awesome swimming this past weekend! Your dominance in all four 50s this year is amazing. Someday I will talk you into playing around with a 200 IM...
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Awesome swimming, Leslie! Congratulations!

You may continue to call it evil, but your breaststroke is a force to be reckoned with.
    Thanks Matt. I've been working on it! I'm currently sold on the fins & chute usage for the evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, i have some SPF 30, which works well to protect me when I bask. But you might need a stronger lotion. I recommend SPF 170000000. And some Zinc Oxide on your cute little nose! Congratulations on temporarily reclaiming 'best athlete in your family and most of the country' for the next couple months!
    Glad I can bask for a couple of months! However, I will not rest on my laurels.

As to our text exchange last night, I'm wondering if your frequent racing in all those mudholes meets really serves you well. I scoff at them, but it's still racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Awesome swimming this past weekend! Your dominance in all four 50s this year is amazing. Someday I will talk you into playing around with a 200 IM...
    Thanks Jeff! Er, the 200 IM?! I still need to work on the 100 IM where I have likely been underachieving. I think perhaps I need your back to breast turn instead of opting for my big air open turn. I swam the 200 IM once with a B70 a few years ago and thought I was going to die. I really don't have the engine for that one. And I swam it almost every single meet as a kid, so don't feel the need now.

No Reston Festival results yet? I hope that is not taking up too much of your time to fix.
    You can breath as much as you want when you're done with the 100 IM (you also get to breath a lot on the breast so don't worry about missing that air).

The 100 IM is indeed a good fit for your training and I agree you haven't tapped your potential in that event. My suggestion on the 200 IM would be to swim the race much differently. For you, I would advise you to swim very easy for the first 100 and to just take a few SDKs off each of those walls (like no more than 3). That way you hit the breast not being too tired. Then you really start picking it up in the breast and then swim the last 50 with whatever you have left. It's your fault if you hit the breast leg and think to yourself you took it out too hard... Just kidding, but I think with that strategy you could excel in the 200 IM while still training AFAP style.

I touched base yesterday about the status of the RMST results file and I suspect I'll get it soon.
    You can breath as much as you want when you're done with the 100 IM (you also get to breath a lot on the breast so don't worry about missing that air).

The 100 IM is indeed a good fit for your training and I agree you haven't tapped your potential in that event. My suggestion on the 200 IM would be to swim the race much differently. For you, I would advise you to swim very easy for the first 100 and to just take a few SDKs off each of those walls (like no more than 3). That way you hit the breast not being too tired. Then you really start picking it up in the breast and then swim the last 50 with whatever you have left. It's your fault if you hit the breast leg and think to yourself you took it out too hard... Just kidding, but I think with that strategy you could excel in the 200 IM while still training AFAP style.

I touched base yesterday about the status of the RMST results file and I suspect I'll get it soon.
    I like that about breaststroke -- all the air. The 100 LCM breast that I swam this summer felt like one of the easiest 100s I've ever done.

I have trouble swimming easy speed on fly. This weekend, I tried very hard to take my 100 fly out easy. I was still out in 32.2 ... Backstroke is easier for me to cruise on. Still, I'd have to be doing some all out and broken 200s in practice to support that swim. Do you do those?

I think I just need to swim the 100 IM more often. Maybe I should hit up some of the MD series meets. The AOSC pool in Annapolis is supposed to be decent, right?
    I like that about breaststroke -- all the air. The 100 LCM breast that I swam this summer felt like one of the easiest 100s I've ever done.

I have trouble swimming easy speed on fly. This weekend, I tried very hard to take my 100 fly out easy. I was still out in 32.2 ... Backstroke is easier for me to cruise on. Still, I'd have to be doing some all out and broken 200s in practice to support that swim. Do you do those?

I think I just need to swim the 100 IM more often. Maybe I should hit up some of the MD series meets. The AOSC pool in Annapolis is supposed to be decent, right?
    Yes, the AOSC pool is decent (mostly deep water). I was thinking about that meet, too.

I don't do broken 200s per se, but I swim a lot for feel and to simulate race pace. I'm only at 255 miles total for GTD as of today, and I haven't gone longer than 3 days out of the pool - so you could say my workouts tend to be all quality with no garbage (my workout average is ~1500 scm). So maybe my workouts are a lot like broken 200s after all!

Hope to see you at the AOSC meet. And to watch you swim that 200 IM there...
    I think you have a lifetime of swimming and aerobic work that I don't have with my 24 year break! The cumulative effect of all that training helps you on the 200 IM despite your low yardage. I was thinking of 2-3 100s at that meet. Glad the pool is decent. I don't want a crash! See you there.
    Do you ever find time to lift?
    Do you ever find time to lift?
    I stopped lifting in 2010 because my quads and biceps got to be so large it was grotesque. LOL Just kidding - I dropped the lifting routine with the new baby arrival. However, I will sometimes do a quick set of pushups just before bed to at least keep me honest until I'm ready to get back into the gym.
    I stopped lifting in 2010 because my quads and biceps got to be so large it was grotesque. LOL Just kidding - I dropped the lifting routine with the new baby arrival. However, I will sometimes do a quick set of pushups just before bed to at least keep me honest until I'm ready to get back into the gym.
    Well, I certainly would hate for you to be grotesque!

You may be awhile getting back to the gym. I could never have trained like I do now back when my 3 kids were younger. Though I really do like and admire that you and Julie make it a priority and bring Rachel along. In the end, the parents will be happier for it. And healthier.
    NR in Breastroke!?! guess it's not so evil.
    Congratulations, what do you attribute your huge drop to?
    Where do you DK in your pull out?
    Way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    NR in Breastroke!?! guess it's not so evil.
    Congratulations, what do you attribute your huge drop to?
    Where do you DK in your pull out?
    Way to go!
    It was a nice drop for me. This was probably a slightly "soft" record as well. Tracey McFarlane will smash it when she ages up in a couple years.

The drop was due to perfect start/breakout/walls. I usually botch the breakouts and have to float to the surface. I also think all the jump training I do is helping me really explode off/get distance off the blocks and walls. And, third, I train breast with dolphin kick and fins all the time. I think this is helping change my stroke from a previously flat breaststroke; I have more of a lunging forward momentum now.

I always pre-kick before the pulldown after a long streamline. I bet I was at the 15 meter mark the first 25.
    Also, after my last 50 breast at the Nov 18 meet, Teen Fort told me to widen my pull. I did that in my 100 breast and was out very fast at the same meet. So that seems to make a difference.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast