View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

back in the groove...

Rate this Entry
by , December 12th, 2012 at 03:33 PM (327 Views)
I took Monday off of swimming because the schedule was pretty crowded and I figured I'd have more time on Tuesday to get in a good workout. It didn't bother me much at the time--missing Monday, I mean--I had not missed a day of swimming in almost two weeks, but yesterday I didn't have as much time as I thought (it's finals week after all and the grading has been piling up) and what I did swim felt very sluggish: 2K at glacial pace.

Today, I also ran out of time and had to abbreviate my swim, only 2500 in 47 minutes, but I felt better about the quality of the swimming. Here's what I did:

500 mixed stroke warm-up (fr,br,bk,br,fr)
10 x 50 on 1:00 (25s hard, cruise after the turn; :41-:44)
100 breast (2:00, followed by :45 rest)
1000 in 16:17*
300 fr cool-down in 5:00

*4 x thru: 200 hard/50 EZ (200s in 3:03, 3:03, 3:08, 3:07)
[revision, 12/18: re-reading this now and thinking about a similar workout for tomorrow, but notice this is only 2400 SCY in 44:00, I think I'm missing an extra 100 bk in the cool-down... that usually adds another 2.5 minutes to the workout]

In addition to the hard 200s, a lactate threshold workout, I was happy to get in a little sprint work with the hard 25s. I paused at the wall to peek at the pace clock at 25 yards for my last two reps in that set and noticed :17. That's just absolutely smoking' for this slow twitch guy. But I think I'm so slow-mo that I really should be doing more of this kind of stuff to improve my pace for those longer distances I like to swim. At the very least it made the faster 200s seem more in control.

Later on, maybe tonight if I get a chance, I'll have to write about some of the things I learned from the SCM meet last weekend. I checked my splits for the 1500M and looked at some video Scotty's daughter took of my 200... and there are definitely some things I'd like to do to improve!

Last night I was distracted by TCM's screening of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"... what a classic! I'm going to have to get that soundtrack.

"Blondie" (Eastwood's character) to Tuco (Eli Wallach): "There a two kinds of people in the world... those with loaded guns, and those who dig."

Submit "back in the groove..." to Digg Submit "back in the groove..." to del.icio.us Submit "back in the groove..." to StumbleUpon Submit "back in the groove..." to Google

Updated December 18th, 2012 at 03:36 PM by mcnair

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Like you, I need to work on sprinting - give up the distance and work on the quality. I tend to get in a pace and just stay there.
    Like you, I need to work on sprinting - give up the distance and work on the quality. I tend to get in a pace and just stay there.
    I think I'm going to try creative ways of maintaining my endurance, but making sure to do it at a non-glacial pace... I'm going to experiment with different stroke rates... my turn-over is super slow. So instead of swimming 5-6000 continuously at a super slow pace, I think I might try swimming 5-6 x 1000 at fast pace with a rest interval... same total amount of workout time, just higher quality swimming.
    I think that is a good idea. You may even want to do sets of 500's. Something I did last spring is what I call "ladders" - 50-100-150-200-250-300-300-250-200-150-100-50. You can do 50 or 100 increments up and down as high as you want. The time interval can be based on x seconds per 50 or 100 or you can rest x seconds between each distance. It's pretty flexible with the idea of starting at a challenging pace and holding it a little longer each swim. That's a good way to get distance while working your pace and endurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by David W Cochran
    I think that is a good idea. You may even want to do sets of 500's. Something I did last spring is what I call "ladders" - 50-100-150-200-250-300-300-250-200-150-100-50. You can do 50 or 100 increments up and down as high as you want. The time interval can be based on x seconds per 50 or 100 or you can rest x seconds between each distance. It's pretty flexible with the idea of starting at a challenging pace and holding it a little longer each swim. That's a good way to get distance while working your pace and endurance.
    I haven't done a good ladder workout like that in a long time, but I remember making significant progress when I did them regularly back in summer 2011. Anything to get off this plateau!