View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Spoiler alert: world does not end...

Rate this Entry
by , December 18th, 2012 at 04:06 PM (287 Views)
...with blog entry #150!

A couple of big milestones today... I couldn't wait for the end of the Mayan calendar cycle for my big entry #150 extravaganza. Apart from the 150th installment of this swim journal I also wanted to report swimming over the 520-mile marker (y.t.d.) today, with a solo 3000 SCY workout that has me really jacked:

Warm-up
100 fr (1:33)
200 br (3:40)
200 bk
rest 2:00

Main:
1000 fr in 16:09
rest 2:00
200 br (3:42)
rest 1:00
1000 fr in 16:45
rest 1:00+

Cool-Down
200 bk
100 fr

Just focused on the hip drive and coordinating that with the hand entry for as much of the 2 x 1000 free that I could. That first 1000 felt tough, but I finished right around the same time I was at the 900M mark in the 1500 for the 12/9 SCM meet. A good hard effort... but not completely exhausting, it felt more like a 1:40/100 pace, but was actually closer to 1:36-1:37. The next 1000 was a semi-relaxed effort; 2 weeks ago this would have meant a 17:30; today, well under 17 again. Also, just paying attention to technique a little more is really helping those "easy" breaststroke lengths; I've been at 2:00/100 pace in breast for so long, it's neat to see that start to come down too.

I wasn't sure what kind of day I was going to have in the pool after the 5000-yard workout yesterday... I'm pretty pleased with this.

One last thing to celebrate, sort of... as I was swimming in the pool at the Y, it started snowing! first time this season... and it's a lot of fun to be able to look out the windows (we have a beautiful 4-year old facility with lots of natural light from those big scenic windows) and feel like I'm swimming in a snow storm... without feeling the least bit cold! Of course, all I do this time of year is try to warm up and pray for sun: no break in the clouds forecast until at least Friday and I really haven't seen the sun since last Thursday--better start taking the vitamin D.

Submit "Spoiler alert: world does not end..." to Digg Submit "Spoiler alert: world does not end..." to del.icio.us Submit "Spoiler alert: world does not end..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Spoiler alert: world does not end..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Our pool has big windows too. We don't get snow here but I did swim during the last part of Tropical Storm Isaac which was kind of a neat feeling.