View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

No Doominess Here!

Rate this Entry
I awoke with a marvelous idea for today’s solo workout--inspired by Ellen and James, I would try out That Guy’s IM Chasm of Doom. But after reviewing the set, and thinking that it really seemed like an awful lot of fly (duh!), I decided that I would tweak it to make it more Janet-suitable. The Total IM Eclipse was the result. The first half follows the Chasm, except for the friendlier intervals, but on the way back up the first obscured is the first to reappear, just like a lunar or solar eclipse.

Air temps were in the low-40s when I arrived at the pool midmorning, and the wind was blowing strong, which made judging backstroke turns interesting—I had to subtract 1 stroke from my usual count on one end, and add one on the other. But the sun was brilliant, and I gloried in getting to swim outdoors, with a cloudless blue sky as my roof. Here’s how my workout went:

1000 scy warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s)

Total Eclipse of the IM
200 IM
50 FL / 50 BK / 50 BR / 25 FR
50 FL / 50 BK / 50 BR
50 FL / 50 BK / 25 BR
50 FL / 50 BK
50 FL / 25 BK
50 FL
25 FL
Masters minute (“the essence of the eclipse which was its perfect darkness”)
25 FR
50 FR
25 BR / 50 FR
50 BR / 50 FR
25 BK / 50 BR / 50 FR
50 BK / 50 BR / 50 FR
25 FL / 50 BK / 50 BK / 50 FR
200 IM for time [2:47]
Intervals: I went on 1 second /yard + :10 on the way down, and on 1 second/yard on the way back up.

100 easy

Kick set
50 FL kick
100 BK (50 K / 50 S)
150 BR (50 K / 50 S / 50 K)
200 FR (50 K / 50 S / 50 K / 50 S)
Kicks were moderate fast, swims easy

8 x 200:
Odds = FR pull with paddles
Evens = FR/BK halfsies
[Goal of this set was to work on breathing timing and earlier rotation, backstroke was easy reward for 300y of focusing.]

200 warmdown + play

That was it! By the time I got out around noon the morning’s strong winds had died down, but it was still in the 40s. I ended up staying in longer than I had planned because the pool was so pleasant, and everyone who got out earlier seemed so cold.

In the afternoon I played in the gulf. The water near shore was in the high-50s, but out just 50-75 yards or so it seemed a comfortable mid-60s. Since what wind there was was out of the north, the waves were tamped down, and the surface was almost glassy. I hope to swim in the gulf more over the next few days, since the pool will be closed until after Christmas.

Submit "No Doominess Here!" to Digg Submit "No Doominess Here!" to del.icio.us Submit "No Doominess Here!" to StumbleUpon Submit "No Doominess Here!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice twist on the Doom set. That makes it more ME friendly as well, since I do enjoy Freestyle sets.
    Nice adaptation! You always have fun sets.
    cool idea, flipping half the set like that. My friend Kyle is a freestyler with whom I had talked about flipping the whole set into reverse IM's, but flipping half of it never occurred to me
    Why, that is like a ...

BORKED
    Thanks for the inspiration everyone!

If we all tweak the sets a bit as we pass them around, it can be like a game of telephone--by the time it gets back to the originator it will be unrecognizable!
    You know, this might be the first (and last) time in history it's been a marvelous idea to be inspired by the combination of me, James, and That Guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    You know, this might be the first (and last) time in history it's been a marvelous idea to be inspired by the combination of me, James, and That Guy...
    I don't want to be inspired by those three, they're weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I don't want to be inspired by those three, they're weird!
    I hear Ellen is delightful! You're right about James, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Ha! I'd undoubtedly be a stronger swimmer if I were inspired by you three more often.

Also a tireder and sorer one.

A weirder one? That I can't say. I already do pretty well on that front!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Why, that is like a ...

BORKED
    I have to admit, that song was running through my head as I was doing this set. Just when I thought I'd banished it . . . thanks!