View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet

Rate this Entry
Busy few days off for me, starting with the storms that moved through the area yesterday. It was super windy (lost some pieces of gutter and my compost bin blew across the yard) with power outages throughout the area. A huge tree fell over near the high school, cutting power to most of the downtown and crushing two cars, and a double rainbow also filled the sky:

The local paper has a story about it here. The Rec Center also lost power so no swimming for me, which was fine since I was helping my wife get prepared for our annual lasagne dinner with family around the Christmas holiday. Great night with good food and time spent with loved ones.

This morning, with snow lightly falling, the Rec was open again, but a sign greeted us at the door announcing the pool temperature at 75 degrees.
With the power outage, the pool dropped about 10 degrees since Thursday. I had organized a squad meet with the local age group team as well as masters from nearby Williamstown, Ma, and we didn't let the colder water deter us. Well, one of our swimmers bailed and spent the whole morning in the sauna, but I enjoyed the cool water for a change. We again used the swim to gather nonperishable donations for the local food shelf as an "entry fee," a great way to branch into the community.

I joined the team in the water for quite literal warmups:

500 choice (I did 600)
5 x 50 builds on 1:15
1 x 100 FR strong (overkick odd lengths)

Then the racing began! Fourteen wees ones (and their three coaches) lined up with five of us from Bennington and our four new friends from Williamstown through the schedule of events below. I ended up swimming the 100 back (1.00.7), back in the Medley Relay, 100 free (53.7), and two legs on the 200 Free Relay to log 1225 yards. We also introduced the age groupers to the "cap relay," where the object is to get one member of the team into a standard latex cap and swim them to the other end of the pool - it was a blast!

A fun day, followed by a nap for me. We collected 25 pounds of food which will be a great help for our community. The plan is to start up training for the spring with the New Year, and I am thinking that I will actually be ready to start swimming in earnest by then again.

Submit "Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet" to Digg Submit "Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet" to Google

Comments

Fun times in the meet! Nice job.
    Thanks. It's a nice way to get our team in the water, but also give back to they community.
    Would be great if we could add some "cap stretching" exercises to our workouts in the next session - you know, to bring our cap relay times down a bit!

Thanks for a great first training session, coach - and have a Merry Christmas!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregJS
    Thanks for a great first training session, coach - and have a Merry Christmas!
    You are most welcome! Hope that the change in training has been beneficial, Greg. Look forward to more torture, er, fun, in the new year! Perhaps more caps, too!