View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Dec 24, 2012

Rate this Entry
by , December 24th, 2012 at 11:01 AM (365 Views)
Can't decide if I'm grumpier because I have to work today (why can't medical people take off ever?!) or if it's because the pool didn't even open until 7:30, which meant I had to get out at 8:30, and so got in a rather short distance. In other words, I was just starting to get warmed up when I had to get out!!

Here's what he had us do:

600 back/free
600 P
600 reverse IM
6 x 100 K on 2:00 (w/zoomers)
100 easy
600 steady state w/fins and paddles (had to rest for 15sec after 300)
100 easy
Total: 3200 LCM

**Totally hate steady state w/fins & paddles - it is so bloomin' exhausting!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Submit "Dec 24, 2012" to Digg Submit "Dec 24, 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "Dec 24, 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dec 24, 2012" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

But you did get in the water this morning, and 3200 LCM is, of course, better than none at all. Sorry you have to work Christmas Eve, but it is also good to know competent professionals are there for those in need. So about working on holidays, can you imagine my surprise recently when a local park ranger said the park and canoe rentals were open every day of the year including Christmas Day.

Steady swimming state w/fins and paddles appears to becoming mainstream, because the FGCU Womens Swimming Team, a serious DIV III program, has been doing the steady state fin/paddle swimming a lot recently. When I was up at Princeton University recently for a few days, both Mens & Womens teams were doing it, and just a few days ago, a friend who swims masters at Cal (UC Berkley), said the University teams were doing it there too. So far I have yet to try it. ...Happy Holidays!
    Totally hate steady state w/fins & paddles - it is so bloomin' exhausting!!
    Have never heard this used in the pool - r u holding velocity constant thru the 600 Celeste?

Merry Christmas and hope you get to hear from your son.
    Thank you, both of you. I will get to Skype with my son tomorrow (yea!!) - And yes, I did get at least 3200 in!
    As to the steady state - yes Sojerz - the idea is to pick a nice pace & hold it - for me, since this was only my 3rd day LCM since early August, I was trying to hold about 1:25 per 100m - the hard part is that we have to breathe every third going down, every 5th coming back, since you have on fins, you subconsciously kick more that usual, and of course if used properly, paddles can give you a workout too. The kids seems to love this, but I only have zoomers - so perhaps I need longer fins?