View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

7200 SCY

Rate this Entry
by , December 29th, 2012 at 11:01 PM (585 Views)
I was wondering how my distance freestyle day was going to go, since I've spent the last couple of days working pretty hard on the other strokes. I felt sore and run-down going in, but I stuck to my plan...

5 x thru
12 x 100 on 1:45
200 breast on 4:00

Cool-down: 200 back

Each 1400-yard "set" lasted exactly 25 minutes and I finished the cool-down with 200 back in less than 5:00 so the whole swim, more than 4 miles, only took 2 hours and 10 minutes. My first time through the 100s didn't feel so great, some in 1:40, some in 1:30, I was all over the place... but at some point toward the end of the second set I relaxed and started zeroing in on a pace 1:35-1:37 per 100, which left me 7-10 seconds rest after each rep. The third and fifth sets felt the best... even when I was dog tired and my lats were screaming in the middle of my fourth set, questioning why I was still swimming, my 100s were coming in at 1:35-1:37.

All in all I'm very happy with this. Instead of doing 6000 yards of free continuously in ever slowing pace (starting at 1:40 and falling off to 1:45 like last week, and this week it probably would have fallen off a lot more, given how sore I felt), I was able to hold an average of 1:36 for 60 x 100 on a 1:45 pace. Same distance and about the same total time in the pool, but a lot more quality swimming than I normally get on a distance day. I like it.

This afternoon we (the family) went into Chicago and enjoyed the holiday lights on Michigan Ave, some exhibits at the Chicago Cultural Center, and then Millennium Park. We thought about ice skating, but that is not my thing and standing in a line for an hour just to get in with temps in the mid-20s didn't seem like the thing to do at the end of a long day, so we packed it up and headed back across the border. Fun family time nonetheless. And, bonus (!), we got home in time to see the fourth quarter of the Alamo Bowl on TV--Texas, our alma mater, in a come from behind win, 31-27, against Oregon State! Hook 'em, Horns!

Submit "7200 SCY" to Digg Submit "7200 SCY" to del.icio.us Submit "7200 SCY" to StumbleUpon Submit "7200 SCY" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice yardage day.

I was watching the Oregon St./Texas game as well here at my grandparent's house in Portland tonight. We were cheering for Univ. of Oregon during the game (so against Oregon St.) It was a good game, especially for the Texas defensive line...I bet the QB for Oregon St. is gonna be sore tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice yardage day.

I was watching the Oregon St./Texas game as well here at my grandparent's house in Portland tonight. We were cheering for Univ. of Oregon during the game (so against Oregon St.) It was a good game, especially for the Texas defensive line...I bet the QB for Oregon St. is gonna be sore tomorrow.
    I was glad to see the D-line come through in the clutch... they'd been suffering from injuries in the last few games of the season, so were taking some heat. Okafor's performance as a senior, setting the record for sacks in the Alamo Bowl, was a nice come-back for him. OSU's QB is definitely going to be black and blue today.