8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
2 free from a dive (11, 12)
2 back from block (13)
2 breast dolphin from dive (15)
1 shooter (9)
1 flutter kick w/board (11)

2 x (4 x 25 @ 100 pace @ 15:RI + 100 EZ)
-- free w/small paddles

8 x (50 w/small paddles & fins @ 200 pace + 25 EZ back kick) @ 1:30
odds = free
evens = evil

100 EZ

Total: 3500

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Swam in the new year with a HIT workout. Naturally. I like using the small paddles for speed work, but they are just not great for streamlining.

I haven't seen any new years resolutions in the blogs! I have a few:

1. Work on my backstroke start. I know, everyone thinks it's my strength, but I have been consistently flat backing starts and not getting a clean entry. I'm not sure if this has to do with the new head back position I've adopted or something else. More arch and more toe flick needed!

2. Concentrate on keeping my upper body straight while SDK-ing. I've been detecting some upper body undulation in my 50 backs, and I think this is slower for me.

3. Keep working on the wider pull for evilstroke that helped me drop time at NE Champs. (No resolution at all to do more whip kick. )

4. Swim freestyle more than once in a blue moon at meets. I had been dong it more in practice last fall with my shoulder improved. This may be somewhat hard as there are only so many meets and I swim all four strokes.

5. Continue to be entranced with in water strength training. This year, I added bungee cordz to my equipment bag and used my parachute more regularly. I may start doing parachute work in > 25 distances. I'm hoping I can use small paddles more regularly too. Of course, this type of work is very fatiguing, so I have to be careful not to overdo.

6. Use my 2XU compression top more regularly. I always forget to put it on! Today my excuse was that I had to go to Lil Fort's soccer game straight from the pool.

7. What else? No GTD suggestions please! (I did swim a whopping 17 more miles than last year topping out at 348.)

I did spot my wayward training partner Speedo at the Fairfax New Years Eve 4 miler yesterday. Since Lil Fort smoked him, I think his real future is still in swimming.

Submit "Jan. 1, 2013" to Digg Submit "Jan. 1, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Jan. 1, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jan. 1, 2013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I'm feeling uninspired to make resolutions, but I did set some swimming goals a few weeks ago - better SDKs and make NQTs in all of the backstroke events. I have paddles and fins en route so I'm excited to start adding some toys to my training.

I also have to figure out how on earth I'm going to get through the ridiculous 200 fly SOMEONE convinced me to do.
    This may be somewhat hard as there are only so many meets and I swim all four strokes.
    200 IM. That will cover them all in with a 50 of each. I know you dislike it immensely, but give it a shot, it may surprise all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I also have to figure out how on earth I'm going to get through the ridiculous 200 fly SOMEONE convinced me to do.
    ME Enjoy, it's a fun one!
    I'm feeling uninspired to make resolutions, but I did set some swimming goals a few weeks ago - better SDKs and make NQTs in all of the backstroke events. I have paddles and fins en route so I'm excited to start adding some toys to my training.

Mine were really goals too.

Fins will help the SDKs.

200 fly, insane event, not for transmogrified sprinters. Ask pwb for advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    200 IM. That will cover them all in with a 50 of each. I know you dislike it immensely, but give it a shot, it may surprise all of us!!
    what?! I was talking about swimming freestyle more often. I have no plans to add that event to my agenda! Much more likely to try cruising 200 back.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Mine were really goals too.

Fins will help the SDKs.

200 fly, insane event, not for transmogrified sprinters. Ask pwb for advice!
    I suspect his advice would be not to listen to James!
    I suspect his advice would be not to listen to James!
    James did one sensible thing recently. He took his last 200 fly out relatively slowly -- usually he's all about dying with honor. I don't recommend the dying with honor approach!
    Updated January 1st, 2013 at 09:25 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    James did one sensible thing recently. He took his last 200 fly out relatively slowly -- usually he's all about dying with honor. I don't recommend the dying with honor approach!
    I did that just to see if I really could make the last 50 my fastest one. It was more of a game than a plan. Next time, I'll stick with the normal routine and "make it hurt". No pain, no gain...right?

But honestly, my training is oriented more to even splitting/negative splitting races now. I don't really have any easy speed at the beginning anymore, at least till maybe taper time.
    I swim the 2fly a bit differently: ez speed, float, don't , and finish (by 50)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    No pain, no gain...right?
    Very old school!

Too much pain = no gain
    I did spot my wayward training partner Speedo at the Fairfax New Years Eve 4 miler yesterday. Since Lil Fort smoked him, I think his real future is still in swimming.
    Lil' Fort tied my shoelaces together at the starting line while I was talking to Scott. I wasn't going to say anything, but you just had to trash talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    trash talk.
    Someone has to keep you honest!