View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Fish are jumping . . .

Rate this Entry
Today I had two swims, both short, but both very satisfying. Around lunchtime I went for a swim in the gulf, doing what is becoming my “usual,” a mile roundtrip to the beach flag and back. I managed to get in just as the sun was beginning to make its way through an overcast sky, and the water was a very milky green in the pale light. There were some gentle swells out beyond the sandbar, and I enjoyed the sensation of being suspended in an emerald bath as I stroked gently along. It was a very peaceful, lulling swim. The water temp seems to have risen since I dipped on New Year’s day, and although it felt chilly getting in, once I was swimming I didn’t think about being cold or warm, or really much of anything, as I moseyed along.

The air temp was around 60, without much wind, so getting out wasn’t a problem—everything seemed very pleasant today. Later on I went to the pool—open again after a 3-day closure—and enjoyed a nice session of easy drills. The water there was quite warm after being covered for 3 days, but since I wasn’t aiming to do a hard workout that was ok. The college team from IUPUI is in town for their winter training trip, and the kids were wearing some fantastic swimsuits—lots of neon polka dots, especially on the guys.

Then this evening as I was walking on the beach at sunset I saw something really cool—a ray leapt repeatedly out of the water, going about 2 feet above the surface every 5 seconds or so. It looked like a dark stone skipping in slow motion across the surface, but with its wings beating in the air. It was just beyond the sandbar when it started, and continued until it got about 2/3 of the way to the second sandbar. I stopped and watched it, then noticed a couple of other rays in the breaking surf, about 10 yards or so away from shore. I waited for some more jumping action, but didn’t see any, so I went back up to the condo. From the balcony there we could see the outlines of several dark rays as they swam very close to the water’s edge, in the space between the sand and the first sandbar where the waves were breaking. I watched until the light grew dim. So many amazing things to see out there!

Submit "Fish are jumping . . ." to Digg Submit "Fish are jumping . . ." to del.icio.us Submit "Fish are jumping . . ." to StumbleUpon Submit "Fish are jumping . . ." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I like fun, colorful swimsuits. I wore my Dolfin Uglies suit for the first time yesterday.

Do you have any ideas for a Mardi Gras themed set?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I like fun, colorful swimsuits. I wore my Dolfin Uglies suit for the first time yesterday.

Do you have any ideas for a Mardi Gras themed set?
    I'll have to ponder that one! I keep thinking of 40 somethings without freestyle (like 75s FL/BK/BR), but that's Lent, not Mardi Gras!

I like colorful suits too, especially when I'm doing my backstroke breakouts and can see the reflection of the suit in the water surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I'll have to ponder that one! I keep thinking of 40 somethings without freestyle (like 75s FL/BK/BR), but that's Lent, not Mardi Gras!

I like colorful suits too, especially when I'm doing my backstroke breakouts and can see the reflection of the suit in the water surface.
    I like the Lent set. All I've got for Mardi Gras is floats so far and that isn't much of a workout. I've got a few weeks to come up with something. I must remember to bring the lifeguards a king cake.