View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wed, Jan. 2, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
Nothing special for New Years, asleep by 11pm, awake at midnight as my wife's cell phone started making text message noises from all her friends...then back to bed. I'm really fun.
The next morning, we hauled the treadmill out of my dad's house...from the basement of all places...and brought it to our house. That is one heavy S.O.B. of a machine. My wife and I will put it to good use though. She'll do running, I'll just do walking intervals program on it while watching TV (my knee isn't made for running punishment). Better than being a couch potato, right?

I did 1.5 miles (30 min.) on Tuesday, and another 1.38 miles (25 min.) tonight before swim practice. I figure it'll help something, so I'll do it 3-4 days a week.

Warmup:
1000 DPS Free (finally!! a regular warmup!)
(1000/1000)

16 x 50 Kick w/ short fins on back @ :45 Odds Dolphin, Evens Flutter (I like dolphin better w/ fins)
(800/1800)

400 Free Pull breathe every 5
(400/2200)

We were really crowded tonight...7-8 per lane across the 3 lanes. Luckily we had the attached deep tank available, so tonight was circuit night, utilizing the deep tank widths for quick sprints.

Main Set: (20 min. on/1 min. to rotate)

10 x 100 Free @ 2:00 Max Rest
avg'd 1:01/1:02s

10 x 100 Worst Stroke (did Back) @ 2:00 Max Rest (whatever!)
avg'd 1:19s??

10 x 100 Best Stroke (did Breast) @ 2:00 Max Rest
avg'd 1:25/:26

20 x cross pool sprints in deep tank @ 1:00 (pretty much a waste of time)
enough space to streamline a little, breakout, 4 strokes and look up for the wall

(~3300 Yards/5500 Yards)

----------------------------
5500 Yards and behind on GTD already! (didn't swim on Jan. 1st, and apparently at 9:00pm PST the GTD program already tacks on the next day's "goal yardage" as well, so I'm even more behind!

I set my goal for 1,000,000 meters this year, and if I swim enough over the summer with the club team I should be able to make this.

Submit "Wed, Jan. 2, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Wed, Jan. 2, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed, Jan. 2, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed, Jan. 2, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

Ugh, 7-8 per lane sounds so choppy. I'm spoiled pretty much always having a lane to myself or, at worst, having to split it with (usually) a decent swimmer.

I might steal and modify that workout a bit.
    Agree with Ellen! I can barely stand having three in a lane at a team practice. I feel like even that bounces me around.

Best stroke is breast?! I can't believe you didn't man up and do fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Agree with Ellen! I can barely stand having three in a lane at a team practice. I feel like even that bounces me around.
    One winter training in college we went to Barbados. There were only a few real distance swimmers (I was one) and we got shunted into this skinny gutter "lane" that didn't have a good laneline. Even though there were only a few of us it was so choppy from the lanes next to us. The coach had told us all that under no circumstances were we to go visit the rum distilleries (which had free samples) and one day a large portion of the men's team disregarded this and went between practices.

As retribution, she put all of them in the skinny gutter lane and told them if they got sick they were on the next plane home. The distance swimmers who hadn't gone to the distillery had a glorious afternoon in a nice empty, smooth lane.
    Congratulations on making it to 11pm!
    I'll just do walking intervals program on it while watching TV (my knee isn't made for running punishment). Better than being a couch potato, right?
    Are you not getting enough exercise swimming with the children?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress

Best stroke is breast?! I can't believe you didn't man up and do fly.
    It can get abit annoying at times with so many people. Our team just doesn't have the lane space it truly needs when most of the kids come to practice on the SAME DAY. Usually that doesn't happen, so it's not too bad, but realistically, we could use more pool space. I'm sure that would also tend to increase our monthly fees as well though, so in that regard...I'm OK with it.

Breast is my 2nd best stroke. Back definitely is my worst stroke when you compare them all. I'd do fly normally, but with the rotation hitting 'best stroke' for our lane near the end, and also having 6 people in the lane, fly wouldn't have been very fun anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Congratulations on making it to 11pm!
    That's about all I'm good for on a normal day as well...but makes 5:15am get up for work really early too.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Are you not getting enough exercise swimming with the children?
    I guess not. I've probably actually hit a small plateau for the moment, which is fine. I don't mind "cruising" from here on out. Gonna be heavy meet season coming up over the next few months anyway...and I'll probably add a few more to my schedule between Masters and USAS.