600 various
12 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
50 EZ
4 x 50 torque drill w/agility paddles @ 1:20
50 EZ

Main Sets:

5 x 20 AFAP free in & outs
100 EZ

5 x (AFAP broken 100 w/fins + 200 EZ) @ 7-8:00 (wasn't really paying attention to interval)
-- break for :15 @ each 25
1 = fly (45)
2 = back, surface before 15 m (45)
3 = breast (55)
4 = back, surface before 15 m (44 high)
5 = dolphin kick w/board (47)
-- felt the need to breath on the last one and legs were really burning
-- my SPL in breast has dropped using a wider pull

50 EZ

Fins & parachute & small paddles:
50 breast @ 2:00
50 back @ 2:00
100 back @ 3:00

150 EZ

Total: 3400

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whew, kinda tired from that one! 100 is a long way with a parachute. I may need a new one. The cord is twisted so much that I've lost about a foot of length or more.

Flip turn fundamentals:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/...damentals.html
-- I know I don't pull first with the bottom hand. My left hand is always on the bottom while streamlining, but I take my first pull with my right hand...

Overload & underload training:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...=Google+Reader

Submit "Thursday, Jan. 3" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Jan. 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Jan. 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Jan. 3" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

My left hand is always on the bottom while streamlining, but I take my first pull with my right hand...
    I think he means deep side vs shallow side coming off a turn. Are you saying your right hand is your shallow side or that your right side is deep but your right hand is on top of your left hand in your streamline?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think he means deep side vs shallow side coming off a turn. Are you saying your right hand is your shallow side or that your right side is deep but your right hand is on top of your left hand in your streamline?
    The latter -- my right side is deep but right hand on top of left in streamline. I guess this position is better for backstroke than free.

I'm not sure I agree with him about fins. They seem like both an overload and underload device to me.
    Updated January 3rd, 2013 at 08:41 PM by The Fortress
    If you think using a parachute is bad, try lugging a bucket behind you. I shouldn't say that too loud, or Paul will drag that stuff out for our next workout.

Where did you get your parachute? I should get one for my solo gym workouts.

I'm assuming when you do breast w/fins + parachute (+ small paddles) that you're doing a dolphin kick? I don't know if I've done breast with the parachute yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    If you think using a parachute is bad, try lugging a bucket behind you. I shouldn't say that too loud, or Paul will drag that stuff out for our next workout.

Where did you get your parachute? I should get one for my solo gym workouts.

I'm assuming when you do breast w/fins + parachute (+ small paddles) that you're doing a dolphin kick? I don't know if I've done breast with the parachute yet...
    Well, I don't use those little parachutes. I think mine has up to 15 pounds of resistance. It's the purple one on Amazon. I am dolphin kicking when doing breast pull. I think breast with the chute is great for forearm strength and both breast and fly pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The latter -- my right side is deep but right hand on top of left in streamline. I guess this position is better for backstroke than free.
    I think you would always want your deep hand under your shallow hand, back or free, otherwise your lead stroking hand will have to first pass your other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm not sure I agree with him about fins. They seem like both an overload and underload device to me.
    Kick is generally ignored in swim training except at the most basic level. There are no LT, descend, best average, over tempo, etc sets so fins would be underload because only stroke is trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think you would always want your deep hand under your shallow hand, back or free, otherwise your lead stroking hand will have to first pass your other hand.

Kick is generally ignored in swim training except at the most basic level. There are no LT, descend, best average, over tempo, etc sets so fins would be underload because only stroke is trained.
    In backstroke, my right hand is my deep hand and my lead stroking hand.

Well, that is just wrong!!! Since I do train that way, they are also overload for me. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    You come up with the craziest things ...