View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thurs, Jan. 3, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
I had to give up the TV tonight to head to practice. I didn't really want to go, with the Oregon/"other team" going on tonight. The opening kickoff return was great, and the rest of the first quarter was pretty good as well. It was 15-7 with K-State banging on the door when I finally had to go for practice. After I got home, I was happy that ESPN had some good news for me.

Warmup:

300 Free
300 Kick w/ board
300 Free Pull
(900/900)

Kick Set:

4 Rounds of:
  • 200 SDK @ 3:00 Build (2:40s)
  • 100 SDK @ 1:25 Sprint (was 1:13-15s)
  • 50 SDK @ :40 Sprint (was :35s)

(1400/2300)

Main Set:

4 x 300 @ 4:00 (held 3:25-3:30s)
2 min. rest
4 x 325 @ 4:00 (held 3:45-48s, 3:39 on last one)

200 EZ swim

(2700/5000)

16 x 50 @ 1:20 (4 of each stroke)

• Drill
  • EZ
  • Build
  • Sprint

(800/5800)

8 x 25 AFAP (did all Free) @ 1:00
(200/6000)

200 EZ

-----------------------------
6200 Yards

That main set was a good one, and unlike any that we've really done before (with the club team) that I can remember. It's just 100% middle D/dist. short rest hard core kind of stuff--exactly what I like. The way John designed the set was each lane had the same intervals, but the other 2 lanes did 275/300 and 250/275 while my lane did the 300/325 distances. All 3 lanes were basically finishing their distances at the same time, so it worked out good.
I was pushing pretty hard, and not really sure if I could've possibly made it with a 325/350 distance on the 4:00 interval...but I bet KNelson's workout lane would've ate that up no problem!

The team is off to a 3 day meet this weekend down in Walla Walla, WA, so no team practices till Monday. I'll probably hit the YMCA on Saturday at lunchtime for a few miles.

Submit "Thurs, Jan. 3, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Thurs, Jan. 3, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Thurs, Jan. 3, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thurs, Jan. 3, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

I've come to the conclusion that my coach, Tom, thinks an aerobic set means no more than five seconds rest. If you're getting more than five seconds you should be going on a faster interval. Basically you might as well think of it as a continuous swim where you are stopping periodically just to check your pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I've come to the conclusion that my coach, Tom, thinks an aerobic set means no more than five seconds rest. If you're getting more than five seconds you should be going on a faster interval. Basically you might as well think of it as a continuous swim where you are stopping periodically just to check your pace.
    We were getting sufficient rest, and I while I think I could've made the set "Cascade Aerobic-style" with another 25 yards on each one, it wouldn't have been enjoyable or fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    That's one problem with training with teens, I think. Coaches are usually hyper focused on developing an aerobic base during the teen "window." Masters are past that and need more quality training.

I liked the 16 x 50 set!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That's one problem with training with teens, I think. Coaches are usually hyper focused on developing an aerobic base during the teen "window." Masters are past that and need more quality training.

I liked the 16 x 50 set!
    I think your theory about the teen window is probably correct. At least my coach goes a little easier on that theory that Kirk's perhaps. Sorry Kirk.

The 50s set was a nice "recovery" after that freestyle set for sure. Plenty of rest too! I basically cruised EZ for 3 of them, and went for it in the sprints. That's what you're supposed to do, right?
    Still we never do more than 50% of our total yardage as aerobic and most days it's probably more like 33%.