View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Fatigue... question on IM turns.

Rate this Entry
by , January 4th, 2013 at 07:49 PM (488 Views)
Today, I was pretty tired and for the second day in a row had to settle for a late-afternoon swim (yesterday's was an evening swim), which are usually not as productive for me. I did 3000 SCY in just under 63 minutes:

Warm-up:
400 fr (in about 6:40)
4 x 100 on 1:45
4 x 50 kick w/ board, IM order; no fins*

Main Sets:
10 x 100 on 1:45 (alt. pull w/ buoy and fr--no paddles today; these were averaging mid 1:30s, my threshold pace)
8 x 100 on 2:30**

Cool-down:
200 fr, EZ (sub 3:20)

Notes:
*My kick w/o fins (zoomers usually) is TERRIBLE! It just didn't feel propulsive at all, or minimally propulsive on back and breast... on fr and fly it just felt like I wasn't generating any momentum (the board might have had something to do with that--io non so!).
**These 100s were meant to work on the IM strokes in the IM order: 100 fly, 100 fly/bk (50 each), 100 bk, 100 bk/br, 100 br, 100 br/fr, 100 fr, 100 IM. I actually had to pause after 50 fly and go on 1:00 for the last half of the fly 100; I figured out that I needed to glide more before beginning my pull--this helped me get into a better body position for the pull and recovery... I wasn't dying at the end of 50 fly like I was even last night. The back and breast 100s were all in my seed-time ranges, the 100 fr was in 1:24, and the 100 IM, very tired but fairly relaxed, was at 1:40.

Anybody have any tips for the butterfly to back turn in IM? Or maybe you know a forum thread where this is discussed... I'm having trouble re-entering after hitting the wall with both hands... do you have to re-enter on your back or can you do the turn just like fly, breast turns (i.e. on the side) as long as your first stroke of the pull out is on the back? I'd like not to DQ in my first meet IM next week.

Submit "Fatigue... question on IM turns." to Digg Submit "Fatigue... question on IM turns." to del.icio.us Submit "Fatigue... question on IM turns." to StumbleUpon Submit "Fatigue... question on IM turns." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

RE: fly to back turn, you just need to push off past vertical towards your back to not get DQ'd. For my turns, I pull my left arm back after touching and push off pretty close to vertical, then continue to rotate fully onto my back as I kick underwater on backstroke.

I don't have a handy video link, but anyone of Phelps or Lochte should be good enough to try to emulate
    OK, I looked at some video footage and it looks like a standard open turn, rotating in the opposite direction. I was getting hung up I think b/c I didn't know what to do with the "other" hand (I'm used to the one-hand touch, open turn in free), but it looks like I have to drop it pretty quickly. Thanks!