View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Happy to be part of a busy pool

Rate this Entry
It was a beautiful day at the PCBAC pool—mid-40s, with sun-kissed clouds striping the sky. The pool was rocking, too—between the kids team, masters/lap swimmers, and the Aqua Zumba class, I think all 20 lanes were occupied (although the masters and lappers were all swimming one per lane, per local custom). If anyone is wondering what the difference is between Aqua Zumba and plain old water aerobics, I couldn’t tell any. But the competing boomboxes from that class and the kids workout (my lane was about at the midpoint between the two) did keep me amused and dancing during the rest intervals of the following, which I swam with Mark and Paul:

650 warmup (400s, 200k, 50p)

3 x 100 (50k/50s) @ 2:00

5 x 200 @ 3:20: 3 desc., 1 easy, 1 fast [2:50, 2:39, 2:31, ez, 2:28]

6 x 75 k/scull/drill @ 1:45

5 x 50 fast @ 1:10, FL/BK/BR/BK/FL [I worked FL and BR, took it easy on BK: 36, x, 41, x, 35]

200 warmdown + play

That was it!

I’m in Swimmer magazine this month, along with some of the other Riverbank morning crew. Check it out online here (if you're a USMS member). We’re on page 9, illustrating an article about pool tourist’s 40 pools blog:



Despite my moniker, I think I have the least interesting suit of the bunch. I'll have to work on that.

Submit "Happy to be part of a busy pool" to Digg Submit "Happy to be part of a busy pool" to del.icio.us Submit "Happy to be part of a busy pool" to StumbleUpon Submit "Happy to be part of a busy pool" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. ekw's Avatar
    I haven't seen you online for a while. I hope this is because offline life has been scintillating rather than stressful!
  2. swimsuit addict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I haven't seen you online for a while. I hope this is because offline life has been scintillating rather than stressful!
    Thanks Ellen! I've been in maintenance swimming mode--doing just enough so that whenever something comes along that captures my imagination, I won't be starting from zero training for it. Other than that, life's been pretty pleasant. I head back to the city this week,mind have enjoyed my time here in almost-Alabama.
  3. fdtotten's Avatar
    Good article and photo in Swimmer Mag. Your suit meets general fashionable criteria as a coordinated ensemble with the cap. So back to NYC as visit or to stay...(isn't NYC sub 50F cold up through about Easter?)

    FYI - one masters swimmer at the pool I swim wears a suit patterned with Christmas trees, holly, mistletoe, etc., and her name is Holly.
  4. swimsuit addict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Good article and photo in Swimmer Mag. Your suit meets general fashionable criteria as a coordinated ensemble with the cap. So back to NYC as visit or to stay...(isn't NYC sub 50F cold up through about Easter?)

    FYI - one masters swimmer at the pool I swim wears a suit patterned with Christmas trees, holly, mistletoe, etc., and her name is Holly.
    Thanks! It's back to NYC to stay--I live there (but I'm lucky enough to pretend I'm a Florida resident for a bit each winter)! And yes, it will still be cold, but 40s and 50s I can take. Plus, Brighton Beach will be getting swimmable soon. (I don't like cold weather, but I love swimming in cold water--go figure!)

    I love Holly's idea. I'm going to start back doing some coaching for my NCY team, and think it would be marvelous if all my swimmers used their swimwear to help me remember their names.
  5. fdtotten's Avatar
    Most of my OW swimming experience is west coast, including many of the California lakes, Lake Tahoe, Maui Channel and Waikiki. The coldest water temp I have swum in is 54. What is the Brighton Beach low/high temperature range, how is the water quality, and are rip-current hazards monitored for that area? Having grown up in Princeton and Somerville - NJ, I traveled frequently to NYC for the museums, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, and Julliard Master Classes. As a child I swam at Sandy Hook, but that is it for east coast waters. It would be fun to try an Atlantic ocean swim when I visit my Dad in Princeton.
  6. swimsuit addict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Most of my OW swimming experience is west coast, including many of the California lakes, Lake Tahoe, Maui Channel and Waikiki. The coldest water temp I have swum in is 54. What is the Brighton Beach low/high temperature range, how is the water quality, and are rip-current hazards monitored for that area? Having grown up in Princeton and Somerville - NJ, I traveled frequently to NYC for the museums, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, and Julliard Master Classes. As a child I swam at Sandy Hook, but that is it for east coast waters. It would be fun to try an Atlantic ocean swim when I visit my Dad in Princeton.
    Brighton is a great place for training--it's relatively protected, and generally fairly calm. We have a good group out there (CIBBOWS--Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers), so it's easy to find swim buddies and feel like you're swimming with company. There's a standard 5K loop that we swim, plus a few more adventurous options if you want to do more. Temps range from high 70s in the summer to 30s in the winter. There's a hardy few who swim year-round, but I usually wait until temps are in the mid-40s, and have grown pretty comfortable with water in the 50s--if you go out every weekend you gradually get used to it.

    I've done a couple of Sandy Hook swims--one from there to the Battery (nycswim's Edele swim), and a test swim last year from Coney Island to Sandy Hook (put on by CIBBOWS). They were both really cool. CIBBOWS puts on a variety of great races in the Atlantic and the Hudson--see http://www.cibbows.org/races/ for next year's offerings. And whether you're coming out for a Princeton visit on a non-race weekend, be sure to drop in on a weekly CIBBOWS group swim. It sounds like with your cold-water background (54 is for serious) you'd fit right in any time of year!