12 x 25 shooter w/fins @ :40
50 EZ
3 x (3 x 50 w/agility paddles) @ :10-:15 RI
1 = scull
2 = scull switch drill
3 = DPS free
50 EZ

Main Sets:

5 x broad jump off side off side of pool & squat jump off bottom, dolphin kicking to top fast
50 EZ

Kick counts:
2 x (4 x 30 m + 50 EZ)
odds = dive from side + SDK @ 100 pace to 15 m & cruise back
evens = dive from side + AFAP SDK to 15 m & cruise back

75 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP back from blocks + 75 EZ) @ 3:00 (12s rolling on 59)
25 EZ

-- the rest of the practice I was constantly interrupted, forced to share lanes with 250+ pound noodlers (is that really "sharing"?), and shifting around

1 x 50 AFAP breast w/fins (28 flat)
150 EZ

1 x broken 100 back w/fins
-- break for :15 @ each 25
-- surface before 15 m
-- 45 high
250 EZ

3 x 30s, AFAP backstroke start to 15 m + cruise back
50 EZ

5 x 20 in & outs, free @ 1:00
100 EZ

8 x 50 smooth back w/fins & paddles @ :50
100 EZ

Total: 3350

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Worked on some technical stuff today -- as every sprinter should! Consistent with my new year's resolution, I have decided to change my backstroke start to avoid the flat back starts I've been prone to lately. You can see from my avatar that I have been doing an arms to the side start for many years. Long ago, Ahelee told me to try the arms straight back over the head start. But this caused me to go to deep and get bogged down in the water. Fast forward another chunk of years and I am much better at the SDK. So yesterday and today, I tried out this start. I definitely get into the water more cleanly using this style. I also go much deeper. However, this seems to be fine and my kick count to the 15 m mark is actually the same. My timed 25s were a good half second faster than using the previous style start. So deeper/cleaner must be faster. The only caveat is that I have to really pay attention to the kick count because I spend much more time gradually angling up to the surface than I used to. Before, it felt like a relatively straight shot. Even old dogs can learn new tricks!

On another note, my upper body is pretty sore from yesterday's drylands/bungee cordz workouts. I can tell I did virtually no upper body work last year (and barely touched paddles). Recovery swim tomorrow, I think.

Submit "Monday, Jan. 7" to Digg Submit "Monday, Jan. 7" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Jan. 7" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Jan. 7" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Worked on some technical stuff today -- as every sprinter should!
    So now you're saying it's not just AFAP all the time?? So there is some critical thinking to be done in sprinting (you just don't have much time to think during the swim).
    I have always thrown my arms to the side and I'll have to try that too sometime. My kick has masked what I feel is a poor start for years, but it becomes obvious when I race people like Mike Ross or the age-groupers.

Every time in the past I've tried the arms-over start, I have over-extended and gone WAY too deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    So now you're saying it's not just AFAP all the time?? So there is some critical thinking to be done in sprinting (you just don't have much time to think during the swim).
    Of course there is critical thinking! Sprinting is all about execution, so you need to work on the little things like starts, turns, kick counts, etc.

I will not be going AFAP tomorrow. I feel like someone took a hammer to my back at the moment. Sprinters are keen on recovery as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    I have always thrown my arms to the side and I'll have to try that too sometime. My kick has masked what I feel is a poor start for years, but it becomes obvious when I race people like Mike Ross or the age-groupers.

Every time in the past I've tried the arms-over start, I have over-extended and gone WAY too deep.
    I feel exactly the same way -- that my kick has been masking a poor start for years. Not reaction wise, but on the entry. I've had a couple people comment on it this last year and finally decided it was really time to fix it. There is definitely a tendency to go deep. I guess with practice or adjusting how far up you pull, you can avoid the too deep. It will certainly make my first backstroke race this season more interesting. I wasn't planning on swimming the 50 back in my Jan meet, but probably should now.
    Is there a secret to not flooding your sinuses with water on backstroke SDKs? I tried doing them with fins for the first time Saturday and almost drowned. It seems my normal exhalation of air through the nose isn't enough. Maybe I just need practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Is there a secret to not flooding your sinuses with water on backstroke SDKs? I tried doing them with fins for the first time Saturday and almost drowned. It seems my normal exhalation of air through the nose isn't enough. Maybe I just need practice.
    Yes! The secret is a nose clip! That's what really allowed me to work on SDKs and have a breakthrough in my backstroke races. I named it Fortina. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yes! The secret is a nose clip! That's what really allowed me to work on SDKs and have a breakthrough in my backstroke races. I named it Fortina. :-)
    I will try one.