View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

EZ 3000, prepping Sunday's meet...

Rate this Entry
by , January 12th, 2013 at 12:27 AM (418 Views)
I wanted to get in a workout today that was not too short (I'm missing my distance day because of the meet this weekend), but was somewhat relaxing. Here's what I did:

10 x 100 on 1:45 (1;35-1:38; mostly 1:36)
100 bk
5 x 200 on 3:30 (3:11-3:16; mostly 3:14)
100 bk
8 x 100 on 2:00 alternating IM (2 reps) and Br (2 reps) with EZ Fr.

3000 SCY in about 60 mins.

This felt a lot harder after yesterday's workout, and the works work on stroke and IM along with fast free. I probably should have gone lighter today and then light again tomorrow, but I still feel weird not putting in tons of yardage. One thing I will say is that I really am sore in places I didn't know I was using in swimming, because of all the work on back, breast, and even fly... I feel like I've done more yardage than I actually have.

Starting next week I'm going to add some dry land conditioning (I just picked up the Salo/Riewald book over the holidays). Right now I only do about 3 short sessions of yoga per week outside of the pool. I'm looking forward to doing some strengthening of the core and exercises that will help keep the injuries at bay.

This weekend I plan to have fun with the meet; trying all new events. My goals are pretty simple right now:

1. 50 back--enjoy the view from below as I back dolphin off from the start; nail the turn.
2. 100 free--don't flop off the forward start; hip rotation rhythm, relaxed hands, EVF, break 1:20.
3. 100 IM--Survive the fly; don't DQ!
4. 500 free--Negative split after the first 100 (I think this will encourage me to relax earlier)
5. 100 Breast--maximize the pull-outs; don't DQ; match my best practice time.

Got some new jammers today, I know the added compression can't hurt; and I'll be using my newish vanquisher 2.0 goggles at the meet. I even practiced swimming my main sets with cap this week, so that wouldn't feel so different and I could make sure that my cap and goggles were interacting properly with my head... want to make sure everyone's getting along for Sunday.

Submit "EZ 3000, prepping Sunday's meet..." to Digg Submit "EZ 3000, prepping Sunday's meet..." to del.icio.us Submit "EZ 3000, prepping Sunday's meet..." to StumbleUpon Submit "EZ 3000, prepping Sunday's meet..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck at the meet! It seems like you've caught the competition bug.
    Yes; dancing bananna dude keeps driving me on!