View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 01142013: chilly AM swim

Rate this Entry
by , January 14th, 2013 at 11:20 PM (67 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (LCM)
Paul & Laura coached, I think the same set

got in 200 w/u

4 x 50 @ 1:10, IMO (I did free/back/breast/free)

200 easy kick

300 done 25 drill/50 swim, IMO (I did 50 fly drill, 25 free, then the rest as told)

200 easy kick

4 x 100 @ 2:00, supposed to be IM or a variation, with at least some non-free in each
I did 25 fly drill/75 free, 50 back/50 free, 75 breast/25 free, 100 IM

200 easy kick

400 swim w/paddles, done as 25 free/15 breast, 2-3 strokes 'easy' fly, easy breast to wall, keep repeating

4 x 200 @ 3:30, pull w/buoy + paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 3100m

yea I know I was planning to go to the nice & comfy indoor pool @ the Tempe 24 Hour Fitness. then I exchanged some FB messaged with a gal I swim with, who convinced me to come to Kino...
my car said it was 28F when I left home, and it varied a degree or 2 on the drive up, but was about the same when I got to Kino.
it wasn't too horrible. I brought a coat (yes I have a winter coat), put it on top of my sweatshirt after I left the car, but still had on my usual board shorts. I knew Laura would comment--heck she said she'd comment if I wasn't wearing them too
it didn't feel bad walking across the bulkhead to a lane, but once I dove in, my arms felt like pins + needles for a few meters.

as for the set, it wasn't as long as I had planned, but had a good variety. and I hadn't planned any back or fly, not that I did a ton today, but any is more than nothing. Paul gave me some feedback on my backstroke...get my hips up and my feet should be kicking close to the surface.

that 400 swim w/paddles was interesting. of course the free was fine. I varied doing breast with a whip kick (usual breast kick) and a dolphin (fly) kick. it certainly wasn't easy switching to a fly stroke, but it was a tad easier while doing dolphin kick than whip kick.
after we finished, I told Paul, "there's no such thing as 'easy fly.'" He told me, "you just need to work on it." which of course is true.

now the challenge came with getting out of the water. my mesh bag (where I keep all of my toys) had iced over on the bulkhead. after I saw that, I looked at my flip flops, which also had a glaze of ice...so I dunked them in the warm water to get rid of it. I put all the toys in the bag while still in the water, so I just had to pull myself out, put on the somewhat warm flip flops, grab all the stuff...put kickboards away, then put on my waiting coat, grabbed my bags, and quickly moved to the locker room. it wasn't as bad as I expected...I think putting on the coat helped, especially since I was warmed up from swimming in the warm water.

one of these days I need to invest in a parka. I've seen orders for them every fall...both with Sun Devil and Mesa Masters, and I've just ignored them. it certainly would make the whole experience much more palatable.

even after a hot shower, getting back in my heated car (with the heated seat on), I was still cold when I got to the office. I pulled out my little electric heater (we're not supposed to have them, but I lock it in a drawer), set it to 72, and it was on for a good hour. even by the time I was leaving work I still didn't feel warm...and by that point the outside temp was on its way back down.

I ended up going to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a little bit after work:

Tmill: 27 min, 364 cal, 3.19 miles, avg 7 mph
2 min warmup
Start at 6.8 and increase to 8.0 mph
A min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
Side plank: two rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
Various stretches, plank, push-ups

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

it took me quite a while to warm-up. usually I start sweating around 8 min into a run, today it was closer to 12. but once there, my body seemed to make up for the late start and I was really nice and warm by the time I finished. my goal was 3 miles, and I made it.

the rollers here seem much more firm than the Mesa gym. almost painful...but in a good way (I hope)

still not doing weights. maybe on Wed, if I make it there, I'll do some sets of pushups and ease into some other body-weight stuff. have a massage scheduled for Friday and would like to wait until after that to get back to real weights.

one more night of this big chill...then just hovering around freezing for Tues night/Wed morning, then hopefully back to normal.
was texting with a friend in PA today who asked me how I was surviving the chill. I told him how we probably lost most of our oranges (the tree itself should be fine), and how most of the orange crop from AZ and CA is lost too. not only that, but most salad items (lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) are grown in S Cal/AZ, and most of those crops had severe damage. so prices of these foods will go up.
so there's more to all this than just me whining about the cold.

Submit "Monday 01142013:  chilly AM swim" to Digg Submit "Monday 01142013:  chilly AM swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 01142013:  chilly AM swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 01142013:  chilly AM swim" to Google

Tags: team swim
Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Parkas are worth the investment, especially since you can swim outside all year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Parkas are worth the investment, especially since you can swim outside all year.
    Oh, I agree. especially if I go to any meets when it is cooler, having a parka handy could make things more comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Oh, I agree. especially if I go to any meets when it is cooler, having a parka handy could make things more comfortable.
    I wear my parka on deck more than my warm ups (both are left overs from college), plus I can use it as a blanket to sit on. The only downside is how bulky they are.
    I disagree re: parkas. I got one back in the early part of the century because I had started back swimming and everyone told me I needed one. I just didn't see what benefit could provide versus a couple of layers under a heavy hooded sweater. You still have to fully dry off in the cold before you can put one on and they don't adhere as close to your body (and hence don't trap heat as well) as a layered approach. Save your money and just layer.

None of that advice, though, will help you with iced-over mesh bags or the long walk to the Kino showers. I think Paul & Laura need to work on getting Kino a big bubble for the winter
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

None of that advice, though, will help you with iced-over mesh bags or the long walk to the Kino showers. I think Paul & Laura need to work on getting Kino a big bubble for the winter
    Haha!!!

Laura used to bring a patio heater the first winter I swam at Kino. It kept things nice when you were getting ready to plunge, and also help to warm/dry you after you got out of the water. But they haven't brought it recently...

Almost forgot, Paul gave the AZ meet schedule for the year this morning:

Jan: Polar Bear meet, U of A, Tucson
    March/April: AZ SCY state meet, Oro Valley
    April: Mesa Invitational, 1-day meet after Grand Prix
    July/Aug: AZ LCM state meet, Phoenix Swim club
    Nov: AZ SCM state meet (Ron Johnson), ASU

He's trying to get a group together to go to the Long Beach (nationals?) meet, whenever that is. But I'll probably opt for the IGLA meet in Seattle/Federal Way instead (can swim more than 3 events, and I think more fun).
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    But I'll probably opt for the IGLA meet in Seattle/Federal Way instead (can swim more than 3 events, and I think more fun).
    I know I mentioned about possibly hopping over the mountains to come over for this meet in the summer, but the price tag is a bit steep for me to even do a 1 day trip over and back. The swimming portion daily is only 5 or so hours, and limited on event selections as well. I actually found one day (I believe it was Saturday) that I would've swum everything, but the actual $$$$ price tag associated with the signup for the entire IGLA event is too much IMO. I wouldn't be doing any of the extra festivities associated with the weeklong event either. Prime overtime season for me that time of year too!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I disagree re: parkas. I got one back in the early part of the century because I had started back swimming and everyone told me I needed one. I just didn't see what benefit could provide versus a couple of layers under a heavy hooded sweater. You still have to fully dry off in the cold before you can put one on and they don't adhere as close to your body (and hence don't trap heat as well) as a layered approach. Save your money and just layer.

Warmups vs. parka is obviously a matter of personal preference, but since I'm procrastinating, here's why I like the parka better. I get cold on deck pretty quickly after I race, but it takes a while for my suit to dry out enough to not dampen my warmups. If I towel off, I find I'm dry enough to use the parka without feeling clammy like I would with a shirt. This is probably not a problem for you guys. Also, the exterior of the parka makes it less vulnerable to getting wet while sitting around on the deck, and I can use it as a blanket to sit on.

Also, Allison Schmitt is a parka fan and obviously if I wear a parka enough I will become as fast as her through some sort of cosmic osmosis thing.