View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 01152013: AM chilly sprint swim

Rate this Entry
by , January 15th, 2013 at 12:52 PM (42 Views)
went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Paul coached solo

got in 300 w/u

preliminary sets: 4 rounds of:
25 half easy/half fast @ :35
25 half fast/half easy @ :35
25 easy
25 fast
100 kick

I did the 25s per round as: free, breast, back, and fly (kept fins on from the prior kick, and yes swam fly)
the kicks had specifics, but I can't remember each

4 x 50 @ 1:15, desc 1-4 to 200 pace (went from near 40 to 30)
50 easy

100 fast fly (did drill, think my time was 1:25ish)
100 easy

100 fast back (1:24)
100 easy

100 fast breast (1:21.5)
100 easy

100 fast free (1:05)
100 easy

100 fast IM (1:23)

300 w/d

TTL: 2550 yards

temp reading (from my car) when I left home as 30F, I thought, "this isn't so bad." then it dropped and was about 27F when I got to Kino...and dropped further while we swam. at some point Paul commented how the deck was all slick with ice.

we had a smallish group and somehow I ended up with my own lane
and yes it did feel especially short swimming SCY. it is really odd, even though I swim at the gym pool which is always SCY, whenever we switch here, I feel like I'm bouncing off of the walls for the first few workouts. I think we'll be SCY through mid-April.

not much distance, but there certainly was a bit of quality today. Paul kind of surprised us with the start of the first 100...I probably would have put on fins, but didn't really have time. and I didn't feel like attempting a real fly stroke.
had a decent race on breaststroke with a gal a couple of lanes over, I think she finished 2 sec ahead of me. could just see her out of the corner of my eye most of the time.
Paul had an official swimming down the pool keep an eye on our IM, and she told me I need to watch my back-->breast turn, she said I may have gone vertical. I always glide into the wall on my side, paranoid I'm going to hit my head on the wall. but another gal in the next lane, who's also an official, told me that this was someone looking from 4-5 lanes over, in the water, and to take it with a grain of salt.

again my flip flops were glazed over when I got out of the pool. a thorough dunking in the warm pool got rid of that, and made them somewhat warm for my feet.
by the time I got back to my car, the temp reading was 24F...and it dropped as I drove out to the clinic for some follow-up lab tests, down to 22F at one point (I think that may be the lowest my car has seen).

I may try to sneak out this afternoon for a spin on my bike. if that doesn't work, I'll go to spin tonight.

I finally took a look at the fees for that IGLA meet, and as James noted, they are quite hefty...$165 just to enter, plus extra fees for each sport (pool swim, open water, etc). if I go I'd probably do something like a Thurs-Mon so I could also get in the o/w. wonder how Lake Washington is...

Submit "Tuesday 01152013:  AM chilly sprint swim" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 01152013:  AM chilly sprint swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 01152013:  AM chilly sprint swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 01152013:  AM chilly sprint swim" to Google

Tags: team swim
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments