View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wed, Jan. 16, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
This ended up being a heavy on the kicking, light on the arms day, which was nice for a change. Basically a recovery day...though the intervals don't exactly show it. My body just doesn't fatigue nearly as bad by doing kicking only.

Warmup:

600 (25 Free/25 V-Sit/25 8-3-8 Free Drill/25 V-Sit)
(600/600)

400 Flutter Kick w/ fins (I did no fins)
4 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:20
300 Flutter Kick (no fins again for me)
3 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:20/1:20/1:15
200 Flutter Kick (no fins)
2 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:15/1:10 (made 'em going 1:10s on both)
100 Flutter Kick (no fins)
1 x 100 SDK w/ long fins (borrowed from the YMCA's supply) @ 1:05 (went :57)
(2000/2600)

5 x 100 Free Pull @ 2:00 focus on roll/stretch/3 stroke breathing (was 1:12s w/ 11 SPL)
(500/3100)

400 IM Kick w/ board
4 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ :55 (:48s)
300 Breast Kick w/ board
3 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ :50 (:47s)
200 Streamline Back Kick
2 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ :45 (:42/:44)
100 SDK on back
1 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ :40 (:38) only got beat by one 13 year old girl
(1500/4600)

300 Free Swim, 3 stroke breathing
(300/4900)

4 x 50 Sprint Free @ 1:30 (went :29/:28/:28/:26)
(200/5100)

300 EZ and out

---------------------------------
5400 Yards (3500 was kick)

Not bad for being mostly kicking today...but like I mentioned...I'm not really tired tonight.

Submit "Wed, Jan. 16, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Wed, Jan. 16, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed, Jan. 16, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed, Jan. 16, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

Now I have my mega kick workout I can aspire to.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Now I have my mega kick workout I can aspire to.
    Enjoy it! It was a nice change to do this today. And fun as well having so many good kickers all around me in the 3 lanes too. Doing this solo would be tough for sure though, I myself have a hard time pushing too far past the pain zone when I'm by myself.
    That workout is my biggest nightmare.
    I like all the kicking, but hate when kicking is consigned to recovery. Did the kids think it was recovery or just the usual short rest stuff?

It's so true that a team helps push you in terms of lactate tolerance. I just hate doing that stuff on my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I like all the kicking, but hate when kicking is consigned to recovery. Did the kids think it was recovery or just the usual short rest stuff?

It's so true that a team helps push you in terms of lactate tolerance. I just hate doing that stuff on my own.
    FOr the most part, the kids do quite well with the workouts. The "troubled ones" tend to be the teenage high school girls..and for some reason the coach lets them get away with what they do. I guess he figures he'll help the ones who WANT to get better, and just let the others take up valuable lane space. Grrrrr...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    That workout is my biggest nightmare.
    Yeah, if you don't train this way, and all of a sudden try a workout like this, it can be tough. But I'm used to the kicking now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Yeah, if you don't train this way, and all of a sudden try a workout like this, it can be tough. But I'm used to the kicking now.
    Aside from backstroke, I am a terrible kicker - always have been. I have exercise-induced asthma, but it wasn't diagnosed until I was a teenager. I wonder if maybe I learned when I was a kid that I had a lot of trouble breathing when I kicked hard and so avoided doing it, but during backstroke I had easy access to air and could kick more. I'm trying to force myself to kick more non-backstroke stuff now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    FOr the most part, the kids do quite well with the workouts. The "troubled ones" tend to be the teenage high school girls..and for some reason the coach lets them get away with what they do. I guess he figures he'll help the ones who WANT to get better, and just let the others take up valuable lane space. Grrrrr...
    Teenage girls can be total head cases in the pool. That's part of why Teen Fort quit USS at 15. Their times often plateau at that age and they can't seem to deal well with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Teenage girls can be total head cases in the pool. That's part of why Teen Fort quit USS at 15. Their times often plateau at that age and they can't seem to deal well with it.
    I don't say anything vocal about it (but my mind is racing with things I'd like to say). One of the older girls who is fast and does work, occasionally tries to say stuff, but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Nice