View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 15 - First Meet

Rate this Entry
Before Christmas I signed up for my first Masters meet, the Jesse Coon Memorial meet in Bryan Texas(near the Texas A&M campus in College Station).

I set my alarm for 5.30am and my mother(who is visiting from England) and my daughter joined me on the 3.5 hour drive. The drive was long and uneventful.

I had signed up for 3 events based on team mates advice that these smaller meets go very quickly. I signed up for the 200, the 50 and the 100. The pool was at an Aeorfit fitness center and was fairly old, and the depth was pretty shallow. What the facility lacked the people made up for. The staff and event officials were very friendly and I really enjoyed the meet.

My plan for the 200 was to go out long but easy on the first 50, push the middle 100 and finish hard. It sounded good, but reality was much different. I really struggled to get going and just did not have it in this one. I entered with a 2 min time(because I have not swum this since college so did not know what to put). I ended up with a 1.58.6, which I was disappointed with, and based on practice times this was slow. At this point in my training I was hoping for 1.56.

Next up was the 50 free. This one I got going but only in the last 5 yards. My splits were interesting, 12.2, 12.4, for a 24.6. The time was again not that quick but I enjoyed this one. I had a young guy in the heat before me who went 25 flat so beating his time felt good. There was a young girl(18)who entered with a faster time than me and it was great beating her by some distance also.

My final event was the 100 free, and i felt was my best swim. I actually felt great and went 54.2, which I was pleased with. After getting out from the 100 I felt like I should have been warming up for the 200, I that fresh. Perhaps I needed a longer warmup after the long drive. Or it. could have been 20 years of non swimming cobwebs. I have a local event in a month so I will see my progress.

One thing going slow did was reinforce my desire to be faster and work even harder in practice.. I am really looking forward to a good week next week in the pool and weight room. My second 3 week cycle for Nationals starts bright and early Monday and this cycle increases yardage and intensity. I can't wait.

Submit "Week 15 - First Meet" to Digg Submit "Week 15 - First Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 15 - First Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 15 - First Meet" to Google

Updated January 19th, 2013 at 10:57 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Wait, did I read that right? You haven't been swimming in 20 years and you just threw down a 1:58 200? Sweet!
    Yes. I have been back in the water 15 weeks. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wait, did I read that right? You haven't been swimming in 20 years and you just threw down a 1:58 200? Sweet!
    As my students would say, "I know, right?!"
    First meet back in 20 years? When I've been swimming for 20 years I probably won't be that fast! I think the 200 is a really rough first event of the day too; the last meet I did the 50 back as my first event and it really helped me get the nerves out early.