View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Heat wave continues as arctic cold tightens its grip...

Rate this Entry
by , January 21st, 2013 at 07:36 PM (677 Views)
The temps outside have plummeted, we'll be -20 to -30 windchill by tomorrow morning; the actual air temp will be -5. The coldest it's been here in over a year. So, of course, the pool at the Y must be the hottest it's ever been... how ironic! The lifeguards today confirmed what I suspected yesterday, weekend water temps got up to at least 90. It was 90 degrees this morning after they had already turned the heater completely off. By the time I did my lunchtime swim it was back down to around 87. Apparently, they had someone in to fix the heater in the warm water therapy pool last week and they think that they must have adjusted or "fixed" the lap pool as well! The noodle riders and side-stroke/elementary backstroke seniors love it; there's an extra spring in their step. I'm having to scale back on the workouts and am running out of water at an incredibly fast rate. Today I wanted to get 4000 in, but settled for 3000 and backed off of my more aggressive interval in the last 1000. Here's what I did:

WARM-UP (probably unnecessary):
400 fr on 7:30 (6:43)
4 x 100 pull and fr on 1:50 (1:30-ish)
1:00 break
4 x 50 on 1:00 (:40-ish)
2-3 minute break

MAIN SETS:
10 x 100 on 1:45 (alt. fr and pull: frs 1:21-1:26, pulls 1:30-1:40)
5 x 200 IM on 5:30 (mostly 3:30-3:35; last one in 3:45--my cool-down!)

I originally wanted to do the 200 IMs on 4:30, but I was running "hot" and needed the extra time to get my heart rate back down a little and my body cooled. It didn't help that my legs felt like hardened cement the entire practice (I added squats to my lunges in the conditioning workout yesterday and I was definitely feeling it today). Scotty swam these 200 IMs with me, if he hadn't been there my times would have been glacial slow... as if they weren't bad enough already

There is hope that the temps in the pool will be back to normal by midweek, though. Yay! I'm thinking about what I should enter for the February meet in Madison; I would have like to do the 50s I had planned for a final set today (25 back/25 breast--working on increasing my turn-over in both events and the transition turn for IM at the same time); it might have given me a better idea of what to enter. Definitely want to try the 50 breast, 100 back, and 200 IM... not sure about the rest; 200 free is the first event of the day (how cruel!). Something else I think is cruel after struggling through IMs for two days in a hot pool: evil-stroke is the third leg of the IM, traditionally the hardest leg of any race anyway... cruelty! cruelty I tell you!

Submit "Heat wave continues as arctic cold tightens its grip..." to Digg Submit "Heat wave continues as arctic cold tightens its grip..." to del.icio.us Submit "Heat wave continues as arctic cold tightens its grip..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Heat wave continues as arctic cold tightens its grip..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments