View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Frid, Jan. 25, 2013 7:00-8:30pm

Rate this Entry
I took off last night from the pool, in lieu of taking my kids to go see the Wenatchee Wild play last night at the arena in town. They are the local semi-pro(ish) hockey team. They were playing a team from Kenai River, Alaska. Ended up pulling out the win in the OT period last night, after being down 1-3 through the first 2 periods. In the 3rd period they pulled it even at 3-3, then in OT sudden death got another goal in a few minutes to end it. Good game...first of three in the series. Basically the warmup game for everyone's tempers...the fights always tend to happen on the 2nd and 3rd games when the guys start having enough of each other's madness.

-----------------------------

Tonight:
It was very lightly populated tonight, as I'm sure many of the people already took off for the meet already. I'll be carpooling with another family over and back tomorrow (they offered, why not?)

Warmup:

1000 Free
did the first 400 as a normal warmup, but since I was all alone in the lane, started increasing my speed and power a bit. Hit the turn at the 500 and took a glance at the pace clock. Finished my 2nd 500 of the 1000 in a 5:45, which isn't too shabby.
did another 200 Free swim EZ while the others finished warmup.
(1200/1200)

1000 Flutter Kick w/ board (chose not to use fins)
(1000/2200)

1000 Free Pull DPS (held mostly 11 SPL w/ a few 12 SPL)
I lost count on this around the 300, and just decided to swim until the others stopped with their 1000. Apparently they were waiting for me to stop as well (they weren't counting). I figured that I probably swam about 1400 yards in this portion.
(~1400/3600)

16 x Texas 50s @ 1:20 (4 of each stroke) work the turns and underwaters
(800/4400)

8 x 25 Free @ 1:00 Odds EZ/Evens Sprint
(200/4600)

200 EZ and out

------------------------------------
4800 Yards in 90 minutes

We always do a shorter "easier" workout the day before a meet weekend. Usually the 3 x 1000s at the beginning is our pre-meet workout/warmup.

I'm feeling pretty good, and now just need to get to bed and be ready to race tomorrow!

200 IM, 100 Breast, 100 Free (the warmup events), then 200 Fly and 500 Free (the real reason for going tomorrow).

Submit "Frid, Jan. 25, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to Digg Submit "Frid, Jan. 25, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Frid, Jan. 25, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Frid, Jan. 25, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to Google

Comments

Living in Texas I have to ask what the Texas 50s are?

Also how do you find it swimming in a USAS meet? My coach suggested this to me but I am hesitant and would love your feedback.

Good luck at the meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Living in Texas I have to ask what the Texas 50s are?
    Texas is really big, right??? These are 2 turn 50s from the middle of the pool. It's just what coach John called them, so I wrote it down that way. It's kind of like PWB naming the 75 IMs that rotate through the stroke "Indiana IMs".

Also how do you find it swimming in a USAS meet? My coach suggested this to me but I am hesitant and would love your feedback.

Good luck at the meet.
    I love racing, pure and simple. USAS gives me that in all ways and shapes. I started doing it after a few forumites here were doing it, and thought it would be a good way to get some long course meter meets in, and to take advantage of a few more "local" locations to swim vs. my normal 3+ hour excursions for masters meets.

USAS swimming is fun. It is demanding on your body as well, depending on how your team practices (if you practice with them). You can always swim in a meet "Unattached" and just practice masters, or on your own like I did for the first two seasons.

The kids are all out there for a good time too. A lot of them in my area like seeing me out there, as well as the other adults (though none want to join me). My speed keeps me in the upper 1/3 of the 15 and over group, at least in my LSC area, which makes it more fun as well. If I were to be always coming in last place, and "holding up the meet", I'm sure I wouldn't be there. I've had a couple last places though too! The kids are fast!!, and the do give good competition which is what I like, especially for the longer events that I'm after.
    I will have to ask my coach if we can do some Texas 50s sometime. I like it!!

Thanks for the info on the USAS swimming. After 20 years out my wife thinks I am nuts, but I am having fun training and competing. I am not where I want to be but I think I need to continue to push myself and it sounds like the USAS is more competitive at the local level, with many up and coming kids. I appreciate your feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I will have to ask my coach if we can do some Texas 50s sometime. I like it!!

Thanks for the info on the USAS swimming. After 20 years out my wife thinks I am nuts, but I am having fun training and competing. I am not where I want to be but I think I need to continue to push myself and it sounds like the USAS is more competitive at the local level, with many up and coming kids. I appreciate your feedback.
    Not a problem! I also have a feeling that many of our wives/husbands (who are non-swimmers) think us swimmers are nuts too for what we do on a daily basis. The average adult goes to work, comes home, turns on the tv, and passes out from boredom.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Not a problem! I also have a feeling that many of our wives/husbands (who are non-swimmers) think us swimmers are nuts too for what we do on a daily basis. The average adult goes to work, comes home, turns on the tv, and passes out from boredom.
    Yep; actually, I think I'm normal and the rest of the world is all off!

Just read your other post on the meet... Congrats on that 100 free time; that's pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Yep; actually, I think I'm normal and the rest of the world is all off!

Just read your other post on the meet... Congrats on that 100 free time; that's pretty awesome.
    Thanks!! It was a fun 100 Free to return to my speediness once again.