View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 USAS Meet Results - Ellensburg, WA

Rate this Entry
Carpooled over to the meet in Ellensburg, WA for the USAS meet. I'm only going to be swimming Saturday of this meet, and thankfully I'm not swimming on Sunday, 'cause I'm dead tired right now.

I swam a very good meet, ending up with all season best times, and quite a few of these times were just off my masters overall best times as well.

200 IM - 2:11.76
27.5 / 35.1 / 39.6 / 29.6
I got out kind of slow, or so I thought. At least I took it easy on my fly with my recent history of shoulder pain. Back half of my race was good, just need to work the middle more.

100 Breast - 1:09.70
33.0 / 36.7
This race was just BLAH for the most part. I was right next to an 18 year old who went a 1:01...good news is I was ahead of him through the dive and first pullout. Once we hit the surface, he was gone!

100 Free - 52.49 (masters best is 52.42) 0.07 seconds away
25.5 / 26.9
This was fun. I haven't been this fast in a while! Very happy with this. My last efforts in this event were 55-mid and 54-high, so a 52 is great!

200 Fly - 2:09.50
26.2 / 33.2 / 34.3 / 33.3
[sprinter whining]This was about 20-25 minutes after the 100 Free, so I was still feeling a little exhausted [/sprinter whining]
I felt like I went out slow in the race, but I guess I didn't really. Fell off a bit in the 3rd, but was able to bring my kick up a bit on the final 50 home.

500 Free - 5:15.70 (masters best is 5:11.74) good enough for LMSC age group record!
I didn't really feel like I had the energy to swim fast while standing behind the blocks for this one.
I haven't really had a good FAST 500 in a while, and I'm starting to approach that now. This race just hurt from the start though. I was gasping for air, at times getting 1/2 water on my breaths, and twice on the 25 end of the pool I slipped on my flipturns, basically getting no where off the walls. I had my teammate/lanemate in the lane right next to me, and he was about 1 1/2 bodylengths behind me the whole race, then in the final 100/150 he began moving up on me, and I couldn't do anything to stop him. I gave it all I could though, and was able to hold him off by a second. Dang 14 year olds are getting quicker!!
Overall, the time was good though:
28.3 / 31.8 (1:00.1)
31.6 / 32.2 (1:03.8)
32.8* / 32.2 (1:05.0)
31.9 / 32.2* (1:04.1)
31.9 / 30.5 (1:02.4) Henry my teammate split a :29.1 on his final 50 to almost get me.
*Slipped on my turns on these 50s...

OH, almost forgot...the pool was hot today (85 degrees) YUCKY Hot!!! And the air temp inside was hot too! I ended up drinking tons of water...about 8-9 12oz. bottles worth through the day, and I was still thirsty.

Overall, I'm very pleased with today's meet. Lots of fast swimming, even with heavy training. I really can't wait till later in the year now.

Submit "Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 USAS Meet Results - Ellensburg, WA" to Digg Submit "Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 USAS Meet Results - Ellensburg, WA" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 USAS Meet Results - Ellensburg, WA" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 USAS Meet Results - Ellensburg, WA" to Google

Updated January 27th, 2013 at 12:30 AM by jaadams1

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Very nice effort James!

Yiu have a little bit of sprinter in you. But you're too interested in the animal tough guy aspect of swimming to ever let it shine!

Taper time will be sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Very nice effort James!

Yiu have a little bit of sprinter in you. But you're too interested in the animal tough guy aspect of swimming to ever let it shine!

Taper time will be sweet!
    Thanks Leslie!!

I do like many things about sprinting. I love the dives and explosive power used. I love relays for the added excitement (though rarely get to do them with a fast group).

But (for now) it comes back to what I've always done and loved...training the distance stuff and competition. More of it will make you better, no matter the races you choose.

Mmmmmmm....taper.
    Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good job!
    Thanks T.G.!!!
    Impressive day of swimming. I bet no one else swam a slate of events like that!
    Yes, a very impressive day of swimming. Your excellent speed at this meet while still in the heavy training phase foreshadows your potential for outstanding rested swims later on.

Nice job, especially in the hot water!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Impressive day of swimming. I bet no one else swam a slate of events like that!
    USA-S Meet. Oh yes others did swim the same slate...but only about 12 that were in the 200 Fly. Not sure how many of them comboed the 500 Free afterward with it though. I know my teammate was one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Yes, a very impressive day of swimming. Your excellent speed at this meet while still in the heavy training phase foreshadows your potential for outstanding rested swims later on.
    Thanks!!

Keeping fingers crossed for Indy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw

Nice job, especially in the hot water!
    THanks!! At least I remembered to stay hydrated in that facility. It probably would've been easier to breathe too if it was cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    training the distance stuff and competition. More of it will make you better, no matter the races you choose.
    ?!?!?!

As the HIT coach, I beg to disagree. :-)
    Great meet James. likein that 2IM. Seems the fly leg must have been rollin nice. Do you think you might be able to grab a few seconds in that br leg, looking at 100br splits and thinking about your IM practice emphasis. Can't wait to see how your first taper meet goes after all the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    ?!?!?!

As the HIT coach, I beg to disagree. :-)
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Great meet James. likein that 2IM. Seems the fly leg must have been rollin nice. Do you think you might be able to grab a few seconds in that br leg, looking at 100br splits and thinking about your IM practice emphasis. Can't wait to see how your first taper meet goes after all the work.
    Yeah, I'm sure I could get a bit more out of the middle 100 of the IM, or middle 200 of the 400 IM...just have to ignore the pain.
    Nice meet James! That event line up looks like "just another day at the office" for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Nice meet James! That event line up looks like "just another day at the office" for you.
    THanks Joel. A little lighter day at the office in fact!