View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Slippery roads, falling down ladders...

Rate this Entry
by , January 27th, 2013 at 06:56 PM (427 Views)
Managed to get into the Y right before another winter storm hit. Roads became very slippery, but the temps are mild so it changed over from snow to rain within a couple of hours. By the time I was on the road again it was an asphalt flavored slushy.

I didn't want to do anything too difficult today, since yesterday was a 7200-yard day. I thought 2000, maybe 2500... but in the car on the way over I realized I wasn't sore at all from yesterday; the mind started churning... "if I do an EZ to moderate 1000 free as a warm-up and add 500 IM to the ladder I did last Sunday (400, 300, 200, 100 IMs) I'll be at 2500 already and a cool-down could get me to 3000 pretty quickly." And that's what I did, 3000 SCY in +/- 60 minutes. The intervals on the IM ladder were aggressive (for me), but the pool was cool and I think my endurance on these other strokes is getting a lot better (even as the speed doesn't seem to be going anywhere). Here's how I did:

1000 free, EZ to Moderate on 18:00 (16:45)
500 IM on 10:00 (9:25-ish)*
400 IM on 08:00 (mid 7:30s)
300 IM on 06:00 (5:40-ish)
200 IM on 04:00 (3:30)**
100 IM on 02:00 (1:45)
:30 rest
200 fr, EZ on 4:00 (3:25)
4 x 50 fr on :50 (:43-:44)
100 fr, slide-n-glide (came in around 1:40, averaging 12-14 strokes per length)

*First time I've ever done 500 IM, first time I've ever swum 125 fly all at once.
**On this 200 IM I was really hustling and finished within 1-2 seconds of my fastest 200 IM ever; I think I was doing more or less a 3:20 pace (:50 per leg) until I got to the breast where I lost a lot of time... got to figure that out... but I made some of it back on the free section (which was about :45, not blazing by any means).

I rinsed off quickly, washed out my suit and goggles, dried off and put my gym clothes on... got in about 30 minutes of conditioning in the weight room. I skipped most of the "dynamic warm-up" because I figured I was already pretty warm, but I spent a good amount of time on the injury prevention exercises, before moving on to core and foundational strength exercises, all of which I'm still going very light on until I get the hang of this again. This was my first conditioning session since last Sunday... I'd like to say that's because I had the cold this week, but honestly I would really much rather just swim, so I probably leaned on that a bit much as my excuse. I'm paying for it now! I do have high hopes that this conditioning, if it does nothing else, will help me to stave off injuries and soreness a little more.

Submit "Slippery roads, falling down ladders..." to Digg Submit "Slippery roads, falling down ladders..." to del.icio.us Submit "Slippery roads, falling down ladders..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Slippery roads, falling down ladders..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments