View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

A double today!

Rate this Entry
by , January 30th, 2013 at 12:53 AM (369 Views)
First time I've done this in a long time, but I was so sore still today from Sunday, that I was having a hard time convincing myself to get in at all. By the time I did finally get to the Y this morning I only had time for a quick swim because of a meeting at work. I convinced myself that this was ok, because it was supposed to be another drylands conditioning day anyway. So, I figured I would break it up... swim on the way into work and then stop back by on my way home in the evening to do a quick drylands workout.

The AM swim was a quick 2200/51 minutes; I was miserably tight and, though my times were a little faster than yesterday, still felt really slow. I did mainly 50s and 100s on generous intervals, trying to keep the speed up a little. I probably did four 100s free on 1:50 in around 1:26-1:28 somewhere in the middle before switching over to 50s, which were a little bit faster (:38-:40) than yesterday, but didn't feel easy by any means. At about 1600 I decided to do 2 x 200 IM on 5:00 to get myself up to 2K yards. The first one was in 3:28 (pretty close to the fastest I'd ever done) and the second was 3:19 (now I've got my seed time!)--something happened on my breast leg, I didn't lose tons of time, and I think it was faster turnover on the front end of the stroke. I did an EZ 200 fr and then hit the showers.

All afternoon I still felt sore, tight... not as bad as yesterday, but I thought the swim would help loosen me up. I was running late at the end of the day and was probably just looking for an excuse to skip it anyway (such is my frustration with drylands!) that I decided I didn't have time to stop by on the way home... maybe I could get back after dinner. My night to cook: tacos! Dinner was pretty quick; dishes went fast, all of a sudden it was almost 7PM... lo and behold, I had plenty of time to get to the Y before closing. Really?!

Whatever... I went in, ran a mile on the treadmill to warm up, went through the same conditioning exercises I did on Sunday, and felt pretty good. I thought, since I only had time for 2200 in the AM, I might finish off the day by stretching out for an EZ 1000 in the pool. This was probably the best thing I could have done! It was probably what I should have done on Sunday for a cool down. Something happened on that thousand in the pool: all the tightness was gone, all the soreness was gone... fatigue was still there, but it was as though all the toxins had been brought out in my drylands to be flushed by the cool-down in the pool. Nice. So I ended up with 3200 in the pool, all quality work I could feel pretty good about, a mile on the treadmill, and a good 30-minute conditioning session in one day.

Stopped at the store for bananas on the way home and made smoothies (frozen berries and fruit mix, banana, vanilla yogurt, skim milk, handful of fresh spinach). Great way to finish out the day!

Submit "A double today!" to Digg Submit "A double today!" to del.icio.us Submit "A double today!" to StumbleUpon Submit "A double today!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Tacos! Those are a food I discovered as an adult so I feel like I have a lot of time to make up for.
    Tacos: if prepared properly, can be lethal! I'm sure this is a meme waiting to happen, if it hasn't already.