View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wed, Jan. 30, 2013 7:00-9:00pm - I've been thiefed!!

Rate this Entry
Warmup:

200 Free
6 x 50 V-Sit Scull
(500/500)

6 x 200 SDK w/ short fins @ 3:00
I was just barely making these...my "older" body needs more warmup than the youngin's
(1200/1700)

10 x 200 Free @ 2:45 (went 2:15-2:18s, last one 2:13)
My motivation for this was the (just turned) 12 year old girl going 2nd behind me and was holding under 2:25s!!
100 EZ
(2000/3700)

6 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:20 [I did Free Pull] - 1:05-1:08s
(600/4300)

10 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (held 1:10s, last one 1:08)
100 EZ
(1100/5400)

6 x 50 SDK w/ short fins @ :35 !!??!???! [I did Free Pull] - :31-:33s
(300/5700)

10 x 50 Free @ :40 (held :33/:34s)
100 EZ
(600/6300)

10 x 25 Sprint Choice @ 1:00 - did 2 Free, 2 Back, 2 Free, 1 Back, 1 Fly, last 2 Free w/ no goggles.
(250/6550)

200 EZ and out

-----------------------
6750 Yards

started out kinda slow...but the yardage came in a hurry!!

Now...I get to the locker room, and my towel is missing!! I had it over my bag to dry, since it was still wet from my son's swim lesson an hour earlier. Done this many many times and never had an issue. Kinda sucks though. At least I was able to get a towel from the YMCA pool staff.

Submit "Wed, Jan. 30, 2013 7:00-9:00pm - I've been thiefed!!" to Digg Submit "Wed, Jan. 30, 2013 7:00-9:00pm - I've been thiefed!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed, Jan. 30, 2013 7:00-9:00pm - I've been thiefed!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed, Jan. 30, 2013 7:00-9:00pm - I've been thiefed!!" to Google

Comments

At my gym, where all the gym towels are white, towel piracy is common. So I started putting my gym towel in odd places, like on top of the stretcher that hangs on the wall by the lifeguard chair.
    Bring one towel for your son's lessons and one towel for your workout.
    Gah, that's so annoying about the towel. The Rec here is notorious for things going missing (probably because people tend to leave things like iPhones sitting around...) so I lock everything up. Most towels aren't very valuable but in a way it's worse when someone takes or ruins something like that. I can see why someone would steal an iPhone but a towel that's clearly someone else's? (TG's situation makes more sense - mistaken identity.)

When I was in high school we would hang our suits on the outsides of our lockers (straps through the lock) to let them dry. Someone on a visiting football team that was using the girls locker room yanked all our suits off the locks, ruining them. We were furious and our athletic director didn't see what the big deal was. The swim team parents raised a big stink about it but the other school never even apologized, let alone paid for replacement suits. Ten girls, 20 suits (we still doubled them in those days), costing at least $25 per suit? That's not chump change.
    I think you should get long fins. They're SO much better for SDK and you could keep up on all those SDK sets. Short fins are for free kick.

The worst thing I've had go missing at the rec center was a brand new pair of sunglasses.
    Another towel theefering scenario: after the mass chaos that is Family Swim Time at my gym, the pool area mostly empties out and there are typically just a few lap swimmers remaining. At that time there are often quite a few gym towels left on the floor, on chairs, etc. So the lifeguard or another gym employee comes through and picks them all up... including the dry ones that aren't on the floor... so my backup plan for when my towel disappears is always the following: after using the suit spinner in the locker room to dry my practice suit, I dry myself off with said suit and then spin it again. For some reason I always feel embarrassed when I have to do that.
    All good suggestions...had it been a "gym towel" or some commonplace towel, but as swimmers, most of us have always used our own towels that we bring from home.

Oh, and Fort...I use long fins on occasion, and when I do I'm right at the front of the group kicking no problem. I usually do the kick sets on the intervals even with the short fins, for more of an aerobic kicking that still pushes me a lot. It was just one of those days yesterday, and decided to bag the kicking. It only helps on the last 100 or so of a 1650 anyway, right T.G.??
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    It only helps on the last 100 or so of a 1650 anyway, right T.G.??
    6 beat kick the whole way
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    6 beat kick the whole way
    There's a difference between a 6 beat kick and sprint kicking. 6 beat can be kept up for a long time. One cannot sprint kick a whole 1650 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    One cannot sprint kick a whole 1650 though.
    I haven't tried, nor am I going to.
    We had a thief this past summer (since caught & invited to never return) who was stealing the girls UNDERWEAR out of their bags, in addition to their iphones & jewelry & clothing. She even stole an enitre BAG! Honestly, I don't understand people sometimes. I think I would understand pilfering through the lost & found perhaps, and declaring something yours, but stealing people's underwear? The lady was not a small woman either, so it's not like she was able to wear the size 2's she was stealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    We had a thief this past summer (since caught & invited to never return) who was stealing the girls UNDERWEAR out of their bags, in addition to their iphones & jewelry & clothing. She even stole an enitre BAG! Honestly, I don't understand people sometimes. I think I would understand pilfering through the lost & found perhaps, and declaring something yours, but stealing people's underwear? The lady was not a small woman either, so it's not like she was able to wear the size 2's she was stealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial

Socks perhaps???