View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 17 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I was hurting pretty bad last night after yesterday's workout. Beat, is the only word that really described how I felt. Today was my birthday(43) and I felt much better. My wife(who really should be nominated for saint hood due to her ability to look after her three kids - my daughter, my son and me) brought me breakfast in bed. As the morning went on I felt much better. Even my English premier league team, Arsenal, won. I had an early lunch and headed to the pool. I took one of Pat Brundages workouts and adapted it.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup drill

Main set
All done with bouy and agility paddles
100 on 1.10
200 on 2.20
300 on 3.30
400 on 4.40
500 on 5.50
500 on 5.50
400 on 4.40
300 on 3.30
200 on 2.20
100 on 1.10

Warm down
300 done in 50 back, 50 free

Total 4000

I always seem to feel better pulling and held 1.03 pace again. Unlike yesterday this was much easier. I was excited to hold 5.15 and then 5.12 on the two 500s. The extra rest on the longer sets felt great too. I feel a little tightness in my right shoulder so will take some ibuprofen at home.

Submit "Week 17 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 17 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 17 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 17 - Saturday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Happy birthday!
    Happy Birthday Stewart! So...does that mean next workout is 43x100.. oops sorry...that's 43x200s on...?

Are you still using the myfitnesspal? If so wondering what your daily protein specification is or was.
    Happy Birthday, and awesome effort on the set!!
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I had my first IPA beer in months tonight and an Indian takeaway(I love spinach and the chicken Saag is my favorite). Kids both slept over at friends so my wife and I watched an old bond film, "diamonds are forever". A very nice quiet birthday.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Happy Birthday Stewart! So...does that mean next workout is 43x100.. oops sorry...that's 43x200s on...?

Are you still using the myfitnesspal? If so wondering what your daily protein specification is or was.
    I was tempted to do a special workout but had been thinking about a ladder for a while.

I am still using myfitnesspal and my protein varies from 20-25%. My weight is still dropping despite my best efforts to stabilize and I am now at 181. In my next cycle I will again be upping my yardage so I need to start doing some shakes or else I wither away.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I had my first IPA beer in months tonight and an Indian takeaway(I love spinach and the chicken Saag is my favorite). Kids both slept over at friends so my wife and I watched an old bond film, "diamonds are forever". A very nice quiet birthday.
    Happy Birthday! And it sounds like a lovely evening. Glad you're enjoying the comeback. Masters is more fun.
    Stewart, you probably posted this somewhere earlier, but were you a collegiate swimming distance star? The sets you are posting are phenomenal, and the weight change in such a short period of time is even more remarkable. As for ibuprofen for a sore shoulder, I would caution against it. The more I have looked into NSAIDs, the less good I see in them for sports injuries. Tylenol works equally well for analgesia, and you would be better off just icing your shoulder, in my opinion, and possibly doing some rubber tubing rotator cuff/scapula exercises.
    Jim, I swam at the University of Iowa, and was All American for a couple of years. I never felt like a star, however because we had some pretty awesome distance guys when I was there(Artur Wodjat was a world record holder, but there were others).

I appreciate the feedback on the workouts. I think I am compulsive obsessive and the other part to this journey has been me really putting my mind to achieving a goal. I am really enjoying the second time around much more than the first time for lots of reasons. Somehow this time its far less stressful and more about having fun everyday and not just about winning. As I indicated in my blog, I feel like I am doing this for all the right reasons(despite feeling a little guilty that its for me). I am pushing myself hard but trying to listen to my body.

I am no expert on the affects of anti inflammatories, so will talke your advice and will try the ice first. My shoulder was rebuilt in 80's due to continual dislocations associated with doing the old style backstroke turns and I know I have arthritis. Thanks for the encouragement and feedback.

Feel free to email me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    As for ibuprofen for a sore shoulder, I would caution against it. The more I have looked into NSAIDs, the less good I see in them for sports injuries. Tylenol works equally well for analgesia, and you would be better off just icing your shoulder, in my opinion, and possibly doing some rubber tubing rotator cuff/scapula exercises.
    Well said, NSAIDs have benefit and risk tradeoffs that require individual awareness to prevent possible misuse. Take a look at this summary of an editorial on NSAIDs misuse published in "The Britsh Journal of Sports Medicine" by Stuart Warden, assistant professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Doing physical therapy and stretching with bands is an excellent daily method that facilitates musculoskeletal tissue and joint recovery, injury prevention, and flexibility development.

Having said all that - you are doing so well! Keep it up.
    Updated February 4th, 2013 at 06:43 PM by fdtotten
    Very interesting. I think I will do ice as Jim suggests and see how I get on.

Thanks for the encouragement Frank.