View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

2 x fast 50 free a week

Rate this Entry
by , February 6th, 2013 at 11:06 AM (2082 Views)
Here I am again!

It's hard to get used to the new layout on this website!

My new goal is doing 2 x fast 50 frees a week. The hard part is that I don't have anyone to race or start me, but if you are at least consistent with how you start yourself, then it's comparable. And who's to say what's the translation between a workout time and a true meet time anyway? Is it one second difference? Two? Half?

So, basically I get up and do a 50 free from the block. I am quite pleased with the exponential improvement in some things - mainly in the discipline to always go 1 breath down/2 back. I have done this without fail for at least 5 50s. Yesterday was the first day I thought, I can hold it coming back, and did 1/1 instead. yippee! The way I figure, just "training out the breath" is like dropping 1-2 tenths at least!

So I have done at least 4 at 29, 1 at 28 and yeterday i was quite pooped but tried one anyone and did a 30 flat. What a major disappointment but nice that a 30 is realtively sucky compared to the sub 30 swims. I think my goal is to get in the 27 high/28 solidly-all-the-time range. That would be really good!

How do I do it? Well, I basically watch the clock and when it hits the 6, I stop looking and count 7-8-9-AND-Go! I want to actually leave the block after the 00, to simulate that you'd have a reaction time where you are truly leaving between the 0 and 1, and not leaving on the 00 exactly. That is why I add the AND count. It's not a full second, since you get revved up to go so you are counting faster than every second, but not a full second ahead, so it's like leaving on the .5ish. And I finish first, then look. None of this raise my head 2 feet from the wall stuff. If I do this every time, it's not the time itself, but the improvement from 29 flats to whatever I can do. I must admit, the 28 swim was with the coach watching, whereas all the other swims I did on my own either after workout or completely by myself.

I think my 30 was bad for 2 main reasons - mental lapse at the turn - I was short and literally did a slow raise the head and bob the body around - very uncharateristic of me, and then salvaged to even a 30 by bearing down on the 2nd lap and only taking 1 breath. My turns are not my relative strength. But, the good news is I had to confidence to say, oh crap this could be really bad and I cannot afford that 2nd breath, but I know I can steambarrel it in on one breath if I have to! The other reason it was bad was I was mentally done before I started. I had to switch lanes and find one no one was warming down in. Then I was already worried about taking extra time because I wanted to see my husband before he left town at 3PM, so I was already thinking of my superman style quick change in the locker room as I was using precious time to get ready for the 50.

Well, I am finally excited about a goal, and so now is my new quest for 27/28 50 free blasts in practice! I'm still not excited at all about going to meets right now. My DVR is constantly full of good stuff to watch and going to a swim meet cuts into my TV and Doin' Nuthin' time.

Submit "2 x fast 50 free a week" to Digg Submit "2 x fast 50 free a week" to del.icio.us Submit "2 x fast 50 free a week" to StumbleUpon Submit "2 x fast 50 free a week" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I just wanted to say that you have many excellent ideas. I love the 7-8-9-AND-GO! Above all, your exuberant positive energy just flows out from your writing and almost makes me feel I can try to swim a bit faster just from reading your post! ~ Frank
    Agree with Frank!

You can definitely go 27 in practice. You're still getting your speed back from the surgery bump.

What are you watching on the DVR? I must admit I'm become a bit of a TV addict with so many good shows on cable now.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    I just wanted to say that you have many excellent ideas. I love the 7-8-9-AND-GO! Above all, your exuberant positive energy just flows out from your writing and almost makes me feel I can try to swim a bit faster just from reading your post! ~ Frank
    Why thank you! I should coach! Perhaps when I am an empty nester! These forums and blogs are for encouraging each other! And it doesn't matter whether one is "good" or not - I find many great insights into my own swimming when I ask the "middle lane" people to critique me - they tell me what they SEE, and not what they THINK I should do...and that is a good thing to remember if I coach! And there are some real gems of advice all over these blogs/forums!
    double post how do i delete???
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Agree with Frank!

You can definitely go 27 in practice. You're still getting your speed back from the surgery bump.

What are you watching on the DVR? I must admit I'm become a bit of a TV addict with so many good shows on cable now.
    Hi ya fort!

Anything Masterpiece - so Downton Abbey, and whatever else gets taped. DCI Banks. Random TCM old movies. A schlew of sci fi movies like the Pet Semetary series, the entire Aliens series, and other scary movies that I swear I have seen at least 6 times or more. Then other one off delights such as When Surgical Tools Get Left Behind and Death: It's a Living. Then a bunch of Say Yes to the Dress series, Deadly Women, Fatal this or that, and other love trists gone horribly awry 30 minute shows. I like all genres. But I don't like to use more than say, 60% of my brain power on anything. Just enough to watch and forget. Basic bodily functions are to stay reasonable upright and in an inclined position with a repetitive hand to mouth motion, mainly eating chips and lollipops.