View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 18 - Wednesday pm

Rate this Entry
My cold/allergies felt better this evening. Tonight continued in the vain of this cycle with long yardage and tough times. I jumped in about 10 minutes early and knocked out the first 700 of the warmup in the public lanes before joining the masters workout. I fell apart towards the end of this workout, but it's not all bad. I don't think my sleep problem will be a problem tonight and I am very tired.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
300 free with snorkel
200 free with snorkel
100 free with snorkel

Main set
3x(1000 on 10.50, 400 IM on 5.30)

Total 5200

I went 10.45 on the first 1000, pulled the second with paddles and went 10.45, the last I pulled and used my snorkel but fell apafrost 300. I finished but was no where near the time. The 400 IMs were active recovery. This was 10400 yards for the day.

Submit "Week 18 - Wednesday pm" to Digg Submit "Week 18 - Wednesday pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 18 - Wednesday pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 18 - Wednesday pm" to Google

Updated February 6th, 2013 at 09:16 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

That main set is the kind of stuff I love! Can't come close to those times though, you're really cruising.
    I normally like these types of sets also. However, when I said I fell apart I mean I was at the point of going over to the side and dry heaving. I was feeling really bad. Last friday was tough but last night set a new high for me. I was proud I made it to the end though.

I seem to have good days and bad, but my coach seems to take the best times on the good and make these the new base. I guess this is his role as a coach, to continually push me, but I am not quite where he thinks I am right now.

Tonight is a weights and swim session and fingers crossed tomorrow will be a recovery day.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I always read everyone blogs and the community of masters swimmers is very inspiring.
    Stewart, based on the your workouts I think there may be excellent 5K OW swimming potential in you! But let's not get ahead of ourselves here, first a good performance at USMS Nationals, and then you can take on a USMS National 5K OW Championships!

What is amazing is that you certainly have come a long ways in a short amount of time, and appear to be quite durable being able to physically bear it so well. It is my experience that it takes longer, more effort, and discomfort to re-establish an strong aerobic base after age 40 as compared to teens and 20 something adults. Obviously some of the side effects from ongoing rapid improvement as an adult swimmer are ongoing soreness, tiredness, sometimes a moderately suppressed immune system, to name a few. Holding steady plateaus for a while to consolidate the gains with rest, recovery swimming, etc., helps to minimize some of those side effects. There is a fine line between some soreness and recovery versus chronic soreness/pain leading to, or resulting from, musculoskeletal injury from inadvertent effects of localized over-training. This not being implied as your situation, but rather just a friendly caution to be on guard and preserve the hard earned benefits from your swimming carefully.
    At some point I will try an ow swim, but as you said that's for the future.

In some ways i am my own worst enemy at times. When i put my mind to doing something i typically do everything i can to achieve it. I want to be competitive at nationals and my cardio vascular system is not where i want it to be. Your point is well taken however and I need to make sure I don't injure myself.

The pool was closed tonight for age group sectionals so I took this as sign to go home and take a night off. Hopefully tomorrow will be a long easy session as opposed to long fast session.
    That is long D for a pool swimmer!

Good luck on the sleep. I have been a terrible insomniac for years (age/hormones). What saves me is not having to wake up early any longer. If I go to sleep late or wake up in the night, I can sleep in. Try taking some magnesium or 5HTP at night. Magnesium is an electrolyte you need anyway! It's also not the end of the world to take something if you're in a prolonged jag. There is a thread -- Sleepless in Lawrenceville -- on the forums you could read.

I long ago gave up on my cardio after 24 years out of the pool and became a sprinter. Will we see you swimming distance events at Nats?
    I wish I could adjust my work out schedule but unfortunately my job does not have that sort of flexibility. Last night I had the best nights sleep I have had for sometime. I will definately keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks for the info about the Sleepless in Lawrenceville thread. I will check it out.

I have my flight and hotel booked for Nationals but I have not registered my events yet. I am hoping my team does relays and if they do I will be doing a lot of swimming. I am anticipating swimming the free ladder of 50,100,200,500 and 1000 and possibly the 200 back(this may not work logistically). Since I have not done Nationals before I dont know how quick or slow(I suspect the later) the program runs, and how I will feel. Back in the day when I swam in college the distance event was at the end of the meet and I am nervous about the 1000 since its going to be at the front of the meet and dont know how it will affect all my other races. I am really looking forward to Nationals and hope I can be competitive. Tthanks for asking.