View RSS Feed

David W Cochran

Friday, Feb 8 - Truly A Taper

Rate this Entry
Slept in an extra 10 minutes today and went to the pool truly thinking about cutting back for a taper. Swam with Roger, Peter, Dave, Dave, and Danny. They only did about 2200 yards. I hung around and did 3000 - mostly 100's at about 80%. Started focusing more on turns - particularly the flat handed wall turns for fly and breast (we have an edge that is easy to grad at water level - Auburn doesn't).

I was concerned about losing conditioning by not swimming enough over the next week. But, Roger told I have done the work - now it's about rest and letting my muscles build. He said that my body would probably feel bad for a couple of days - maybe to Monday or Tuesday - but then my "strength" and feeling would take off. He has the experience, so I trust him. Probably will only do 2000 to 2500 the next couple of days and cut back more next week. Focus will be on speed, stroke work, and turns.

5x100 Free on 1:30
5x100 Back on 1:45
7x50 on :45
4x50 Back on :50
16x25 2 swim/2 kick - Free, Back, Breast, Free
50 Back
50 Fly (felt a shoulder strain so I quit fly for the day)
50 Breast
100 Free
100 Back
100 Breast
100 Free
100 Back
100 Free
100 Breast
100 Back
100 Free - Didn't really watch intervals on all the 100's - just focused on turns and having a good stroke)

3000 yards
85 minutes

Submit "Friday, Feb 8 - Truly A Taper" to Digg Submit "Friday, Feb 8 - Truly A Taper" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Feb 8 - Truly A Taper" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Feb 8 - Truly A Taper" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Roger told I have done the work - now it's about rest and letting my muscles build. He said that my body would probably feel bad for a couple of days - maybe to Monday or Tuesday - but then my "strength" and feeling would take off.
    I think Roger is right, you've put in the work and won't lose your conditioning before the meet. It can be a bit nerve-racking during, but your body will heal and you'll swim fast. I committed to a twelve day taper in December (longest one yet) and improved in all events. Just don't go stir crazy!
    Thanks for the comment and advice. I'm going to stick to the taper and try not to think too much and psyche myself out of the 1650 or 200 IM.