10 x 100 @ 1:50 SDK w/ short fins MAX REST
(1000/1600)

Main Set: (did our rotating stations again):

4 x 200 Free @ 5:00, broken :10 @ each 50
went 2:01-2:03

8 x 100 Choice @ 2:30, broken :10 @ each 25
did 7 Free, mainly holding 55s, last one Fly - did a 59
(1600/3200)

That last one was my BIG MISTAKE. I felt a huge pop in my shoulder, on the back side. I have a bit of pain there now, and it reaches across my back toward my neck area, but mostly in the shoulder region.

I ended up swimming a few 100s easy in the next lane just to see what I had, but it was a no-go for the night, so I got out. I did manage to get my wife to do a little "dig her heels in" massage on my upper back/shoulder area, and got another pop in my back that felt awesome. A lot of the pressure went away, but the pain is still there a bit. I'm gonna take it really really easy for a while, and sad to say or think it, but I may have to bag the meet this coming weekend in Kirkland. Mainly with the events I signed up for, I just don't see myself being able to accomplish all that Fly on Sunday. It'll be my first events skipped as a masters swimmer I believe. I guess that officially makes me human, but it ticks me off a bit too. Oh well. Work in the morning.

3600 Yards total for the night

Submit "Mon, Feb. 11, 2013 7:00-9:00....uh, well...8:30" to Digg Submit "Mon, Feb. 11, 2013 7:00-9:00....uh, well...8:30" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon, Feb. 11, 2013 7:00-9:00....uh, well...8:30" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon, Feb. 11, 2013 7:00-9:00....uh, well...8:30" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James, that's awful. I hope you don't have a serious injury and I hope it feels better soon. My experience with back, neck and shoulder is,to take it easy until all pain has gone. Don't push it until it is completely healed which can be quite frustrating. Don't stress about this weeks meet there will be more meets. Look after your injury and I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    James, that's awful. I hope you don't have a serious injury and I hope it feels better soon. My experience with back, neck and shoulder is,to take it easy until all pain has gone. Don't push it until it is completely healed which can be quite frustrating. Don't stress about this weeks meet there will be more meets. Look after your injury and I wish you a speedy recovery.
    I always look at upper body soreness/injury as a chance to work on my kick! The glass is at least half full James. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I hope you are feeling soon.
    James, I truly feel your pain and hope this blows over and resolves itself in a short time.
    I hope you're feeling better soon.
    I agree with Stewart. Don't push it! Best to let it heal. I know it's tempting to just take it easy. I've been there too! Good luck, James.
    So sorry to hear that. Hope it improves soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    This! There are always more masters meets.

Have you been doing rotator cuff and scapular strengthening exercises? You may have to to support the heavy yardage you've been doing. My left shoulder has hurt in the back as well. Sometimes pain there signals a neck problem. Rest, ice, kick!

Here's an article on shoulder popping: http://www.howardluksmd.com/shoulder...-clicking-why/
    I wish you a speedy recovery James. I also agree with the others in not pushing it. Egos tend to cloud common sense sometimes. Give it some time.
    sorry to hear that james ... had a similar experience just last week. I hurt my left rhombus while bending over using my paper shredder, ah long story, lets just chalk it up as age/overuse related. i had to skip the S Carolina scy champs. after struggling with it mon-wed, gave up on the meet flipped over to backstroke which did not bother it, cut down on yardage and effort thur-sat and sunday off and had the best workout of the season monday and the area is totally recovered. so losing one meet is not an end all ...rest up
    That's awful. Sounds like you're tight from all the training and something just popped out of alignment. More than a year ago I had an experience like that, where I'm swimming along normally and all of a sudden... pain in the neck, shoulder, beneath the collar bone... like something just decided to seize up, or perhaps I applied too much force at the wrong angle at just the "right" moment. But it left me with a radiating pain (as you describe, though I don't remember if there was a "pop" that brought it on). EZ swimming for a week or two, then I was back at the intervals without losing any fitness. Hope that's your experience!
    James, you have worked long and hard to build a very strong fitness foundation, so it is important, as you already know and many have already posted, to do whatever it takes towards AFAP recovery that is 100% with no lingering elements. I also would like to mention massages, which may or may not apply in your case, but for my wife who for a time had significant deferred neck pain to the shoulders, moderate - not deep tissue, daily massages with muscle rubs were very effective. I got a massage table and did it myself, so while not professional, it was good enough. All those who follow your daily workouts and meets are truly desiring the best outcome possible for you.
    I might not know too much about swimming but I am kinda old and have years of shoulder poppings, dislocations, and injuries. Listen to what your body is saying and I hope it's just a minor pop. Any ipost-nflammation needs serious respect. Good luck
    Bummer, dude. I agree with folks above, but want to add that you simply must not jeopardize your OW events this summer by trying to return too quickly to the pool now.
    Holy moley everyone!!! Thanks for the support!!
    I actually had my wife do a little bit of work on my back/shoulder area last night and through massage work got a few things to pop back into place, and instantly felt much better. I slept through the night, went to work, doing my normal all physical stuff I do here with my maintinence job, and nothing phased me a bit. I'm thinking I just threw something out with those AFAP efforts last night. But I'm still going to be cautious with things anyway.
    Again, thanks for the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I always look at upper body soreness/injury as a chance to work on my kick! The glass is at least half full James. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    I did this very thing in college for the first half of my senior year when I cut the tendons in my right hand. My kicking developed quite nicely, had the best ever 50, 100, and 200 Frees of my life, but had to bag the 1650 that year.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    This! There are always more masters meets.

Have you been doing rotator cuff and scapular strengthening exercises? You may have to to support the heavy yardage you've been doing. My left shoulder has hurt in the back as well. Sometimes pain there signals a neck problem. Rest, ice, kick!

Here's an article on shoulder popping: http://www.howardluksmd.com/shoulder...-clicking-why/
    Yes Leslie, I have been doing various different exercises for this, and have not done anything as far as weights/pushups/etc. that would cause further stress, aside from stuff that comes up at work requiring heavy lifting/exertion (I really hate the bolts on the motors and gearboxes that are rusted badly). I did the resting and ice last night as well, in addition to my wife "jumping" on my with her good heel massage. I will take it easy for sure...but we'll just see how things go.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    I wish you a speedy recovery James. I also agree with the others in not pushing it. Egos tend to cloud common sense sometimes. Give it some time.
    My ego is still writing checks it can't cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    That's awful. Sounds like you're tight from all the training and something just popped out of alignment. More than a year ago I had an experience like that, where I'm swimming along normally and all of a sudden... pain in the neck, shoulder, beneath the collar bone... like something just decided to seize up, or perhaps I applied too much force at the wrong angle at just the "right" moment. But it left me with a radiating pain (as you describe, though I don't remember if there was a "pop" that brought it on). EZ swimming for a week or two, then I was back at the intervals without losing any fitness. Hope that's your experience!
    I can believe this is something that possibly happened. I'm not going to a doctor or anything now about it, but the stars all aligned like you wrote here.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    All those who follow your daily workouts and meets are truly desiring the best outcome possible for you.
    Really?? I have followers?!

Thanks for the support. Of all people out there, this only disappoints me, but I'll be back quick.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast