View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

200 back

Rate this Entry
by , February 14th, 2013 at 02:31 AM (300 Views)
Today I had to break up my workout again. I had enough time to get a little more in in the morning, but without much of a warm-up or cool-down, which I think I'm going to pay for somehow. And again, I did 30 minutes of conditioning in the evening before the swim. My legs were totally thrashed from the extra backstroke work in the morning, plus lunges and squats... so the kick sets didn't feel good and I don't think my technique was holding together all that well. Here's what I did:

AM:
5 x 200 free on 3:30 (3:11, 3:08, 3:09, 3:09, 3:10)
:30 rest
5 x 200 back on 4:00 (3:44-3:47)
1:00 rest
400 IM in 7:55

PM:
200 EZ free
300 dolphins/fly w/ fins
2 x 50 fly
300 breast kick
2 x 50 breast
200 EZ free

I was pretty happy with the 200 Back set on 4:00, a very aggressive interval for me on 200 back. That was a real workout. I'm hoping those times come down over the next couple of weeks, because I'd like to do the 200 back at the next meet (on 3/3/2013) along with the 400 IM (first) and the 1650. There is a lot of time between the the 200 back and the 1650, but the 200 back (event #4) is pretty close to the 400 IM (event #2)... there will probably only be one or two heats of each. Between them is the 50 free, which I won't do, but those heats will go by pretty quickly, so my endurance on back has to be really good... got to be able to swim it faster even when tired. I can do a couple of other events that day too and I'm thinking about maybe 200 free and 200 breast; swimming the free hard and just going for smooth on the breast (no DQ). But to be able to do a schedule like that I need to shift my focus to 200 work and 400 IM for the next few weeks and really build that endurance. I'm just going to keep adding reps on the 200 back and free, keep working technique for the fly and breast... and try to do a 400 IM, even if it's just an EZ cool-down, everyday. I'm already half way through the check-off challenge (a little bit less if I don't count my two DQs at the last meet, but maybe 3/4s of the way there if I want to count practices).

Submit "200 back" to Digg Submit "200 back" to del.icio.us Submit "200 back" to StumbleUpon Submit "200 back" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Do you ever do backstroke pulls? I was testing that tonight and saw I was fishtailing pretty bad...so I think my rotation is poor. I need to go dig up the Backstroke lane and ask them.

It is hard to swim all of those power events at a small meet. Good luck!
    Ooo, hadn't thought of the pull buoy for back... that's a good idea. If you're fishtailing I suspect you might need to focus on keeping your head still while you rotate, or you're rotating more to one side than the other (sometimes I notice that when my catch is deeper on one side than the other)... I'll try it and see what happens too.