View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Bit of Hypoxic, Friday, April 17

Rate this Entry
Still under the weather and an energy-less FAF, but better than yesterday!

AM: Massage

Got a deep tissue massage. Ouch! Guess I had some cranky muscles. The tightest area is my middle back. (Lower back was fine.) How exactly does one stretch the middle back?

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Just a short workout. Wanted to keep feel and not sure I can get to the pool tomorrow. Did some hypoxic work that I like to do when I'm resting or feeling sub par.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic Sets:

10 x 25 back UW shooter w/MF @ :30

50 EZ

Then, realizing that I had just told She Puff that I had become too besotted with my MF lately and needed to do some fin-less SDK work, I grudgingly took it off.

10 x (25 back UW shooter no fins + 25 EZ) @ 1:15

50 EZ

3 x 150 (50 scull, 50 kick, 50 swim)
7 SDKs off each wall on kick and swim

50 EZ

5 x (25 belly UW shooter no fins + 25 EZ)

200 C/D

Total: 2275

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The UW shooters with no fins were easier than I anticipated. For the last year, I've felt faster/better on my belly shooters than my back shooters and have started avoiding back shooters because of the air bleeding. With a nose clip, I felt like this phenomenon was reversed: I felt faster and more comfortable on my back. Though I took about 21 kicks each way.

Will try to get to my team practice on Sunday if I'm feeling better to practice some starts, etc. I won't be doing 3000, though, so I may be a dirty rotten selfish rule breaking teammate that is disrupting the normal swimming protocol. I suspect a few others are tapering for Zones too though. But, since I'm one of few sprinters, I'm sure I'll do less yardage.

Submit "Bit of Hypoxic, Friday, April 17" to Digg Submit "Bit of Hypoxic, Friday, April 17" to del.icio.us Submit "Bit of Hypoxic, Friday, April 17" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bit of Hypoxic, Friday, April 17" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

"How exactly does one stretch the middle back?"

I'm not entirely sure, but, I re-discovered my Rodney Yee "AM Yoga" audio file (see [ame="http://www.amazon.com/M-P-M-Yoga-Rodney-Yee/dp/B00007JME6"]Amazon.com: A.M. and P.M. Yoga: Rodney Yee, Patricia Walden, Steve Adams: Movies & TV[/ame]) the other day on my iPod and remembered how much this little routine seemed to do for my back health in general. I don't like the woman's voice for the PM track, but am trying to do the AM session as many days as possible between now and Nationals.
    Thanks, Patrick. I was wondering if maybe yoga was the ticket ...
    This is really gentle ... more like guided, dynamic stretching than "real" yoga.
    How exactly does one stretch the middle back?
    I just happen to have The Whartons' Stretch Book on my desk.

Trunk Rotators
    Trunk Extensors
    Thoracic-Lumbar Rotators
    Lateral Trunk Flexors

No idea if that is really meaningful without the book to explain, so let me know if google doesn't have an explanation for anything you don't already know and I will try to find a picture of it online.
    I second Patrick's recommendation, and although I don't like the woman's voice in the PM, I like the PM better than the AM.
    Thanks Q. I will google them. I think I might have been doing one of them and just didn't know what to call it ...
    Fort I just use the tennis balls against a wall or chair to make sure the mid back does not get too cranky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Fort I just use the tennis balls against a wall or chair to make sure the mid back does not get too cranky.
    Duh, I'm such a moron. I keep forgetting to use this valuable device. I guess the foam roller could hit this area as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Duh, I'm such a moron. I keep forgetting to use this valuable device. I guess the foam roller could hit this area as well.

The one place the foam roller feels great is the lower and mid back. I thought you were ignoring tennis balls because they hurt so much Donna is right, tennis balls are great for the entire back, because they can work around all those bones, unlike the roller.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    The one place the foam roller feels great is the lower and mid back. I thought you were ignoring tennis balls because they hurt so much Donna is right, tennis balls are great for the entire back, because they can work around all those bones, unlike the roller.
    No, it's just my sprinter ADD causes me to forget things ...

I didn't even realize my mid back was so tight. I thought it was all in the shoulder/scapular area, which I'm told was "lumpy." lol