View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 19 - Friday

Rate this Entry
There is a small college conference meet at the aquatic center this week so several sessions have been canceled. Last night My wife and I hung out with kids which was fun. This morning was a normal Friday with a nice 1000 set in the middle. I tweaked my back a little on the kick so while everyone else did 2 x 100 from the blocks I did an easy 500.

Warm up
400 with snorkel
6x50 catchup
8x150 on 2 min, 50 free, 50 back, 50 free
100 easy

Main set
20x50 on 50 holding 30
100 easy
12x75 kick on 1.15
100 easy

Warm down(while everyone else did sprints)
500 free with a snorkel

Total 4600

I held 30's comfortably on the 50s and went 28 on the last one. Only issue was the kick set where my back got sore and then I tweaked it on number 7. I dropped the board and went with the snorkel and by the end it just felt stiff. I did the warm down and my back felt ok. I will watch it today. I tend to arch my back on the kick with a board and somehow twisted on the turn and felt like I caught something in my lower back.

Submit "Week 19 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 19 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 19 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 19 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Take care of that back. The tall, long ectomorphs body types generally are more vulnerable to lower back issues. Just wanted to say that kicking with the snorkel has been useful for me, but then I am not training with a group or team.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Take care of that back. The tall, long ectomorphs body types generally are more vulnerable to lower back issues. Just wanted to say that kicking with the snorkel has been useful for me, but then I am not training with a group or team.
    Thanks Frank. The pain went away pretty quickly but will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days. My coach also suggested i stop using the kick board from now on and move to the snorkel for kick sets. I like the snorkel a lot but it does limit taking a sneak peak at the pace clock to monitor my progress after each turn. I guess that's not all bad and I will take that over a bad back.