View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

02.16.13 - Auburn meet blog

Rate this Entry
by , February 16th, 2013 at 01:22 PM (1193 Views)
Events for today:

1650 free
200 fly
200 free
400 I'm

Warmed up for the 1650:

500 build
4 rounds of:
* 25 no breath - :40
* 50 free @ 1650 pace - 1:00
3 x 100 free @ 1650 pace - 2:00

(1100 total)

Couple forumites are here: ekw, Elaine, swimosaur... probably a couple more.

Submit "02.16.13 - Auburn meet blog" to Digg Submit "02.16.13 - Auburn meet blog" to del.icio.us Submit "02.16.13 - Auburn meet blog" to StumbleUpon Submit "02.16.13 - Auburn meet blog" to Google

Comments

1650 results:
    Seed time - 19:30
    Final time - 18:17 <- that's what the clock said when I touched. The timer said I did 19:17. I'll take it! Felt horrible after 1100 yards but I managed to keep pushing. Really happy with this swim.

Did 300 cool down.
    Nice swim! Good luck with the rest of the meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    Nice swim! Good luck with the rest of the meet!
    Thanks!

200 Fly
    Warm-up: 3 x 50 fly - 1:15 descend to 200 pace
    Seed time: 2:37.29
    Went 2:30:??
    Planned to cruise this and save up for the 200 free. wasn't expecting to drop 7 seconds in the process.

100 cool down
    Updated February 16th, 2013 at 09:48 PM by pmccoy
    Nice time drop in 200 Fly! Will splits be availble?
    Nice job! Brute Squad all the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Nice time drop in 200 Fly! Will splits be availble?
    I'll get splits when swimphone gets updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job! Brute Squad all the way!
    Thanks! Kind of rethinking the brute squad thing after things went bad in the relay.

Here's the rest of the day:

Warm-up for 200 Free
    50 Easy
    2 x 50 Free - 1:00 @ 200 Pace (:31, :29)

200 Free Seed - 2:04.95
    Went 2:02 Wanted the 1:59.xx but suspected I was still a year away from that

No Cooldown/warmup for 400 IM

400 IM Seed: 5:24.37
    Went 5:08! Biggest surprise of the day. Expected a 5:15 or so but really turned in a great race and had lots of gas at the end. I think I could have gone a bit faster.

Relay disaster - Swam the 50 br leg of the men's Medley relay. As soon as I hit the water, my back buckled and I felt horrible pain in my lower back. I took a little extra glide and did my pull-out. It hurt but I could still move. Then, the adrenaline kicked in and I just went hard. Someone said my split was :32 which is about what I normally do. But once I touched the wall and the adrenaline went away, I was in bad shape. Fortunately, I was in lane 1 and I was able to get to the side of the pool (the end is tough to get out on). I managed to pull myself on the deck and find a position that was more comfortable. I have no idea how the rest of the relay went but they tell me we won our age division. After a couple minutes, I could stand up so I worked my way to the warm-up lanes and took 200 easy. Felt a good bit better after that but it is still pretty sore. I'm pretty sure I've just aggrivated the arthritis in my lower back. Lots of Ibuprofen and rest should get me back on track for tomorrow.

Looking forward to another big day... 500 Free, 200 Br, 200 Bk, 200 IM. Should be a little more manageable than today was.
    Updated February 17th, 2013 at 07:40 AM by pmccoy
    Thanks, I realized I was able to see the splits with an app from active.com on my phone. Well paced 200 fly swim with the last 50 as the second fastest 50! Again a well paced 200 Free swim with 2:02.71. You are actually closing in on sub two minutes considering you are out in 28 and then steady at 31s. 400 IM of 4:08 is really terrific. Great mental toughness after the relay start and your lower back, but still going 32.2 breast, hopefully with a good night's rest and recovery, Sunday will be an ever better day.
    That stinks about your back, those injuries are tough for everything in life. Hope all goes well with it.
    Hope your feeling better for second day of meet. Looks like all that yardage is paying off so far. Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Thanks, I realized I was able to see the splits with an app from active.com on my phone. Well paced 200 fly swim with the last 50 as the second fastest 50! Again a well paced 200 Free swim with 2:02.71. You are actually closing in on sub two minutes considering you are out in 28 and then steady at 31s. 400 IM of 4:08 is really terrific. Great mental toughness after the relay start and your lower back, but still going 32.2 breast, hopefully with a good night's rest and recovery, Sunday will be an ever better day.
    Can't tell you how crazy it made me that you could see my splits and I couldn't. Finally figured out after the meet that we could see them with the "Meet Mobile" app from Active.com.

I do wish it were mental toughness that got me through the 50 br but it was mostly adrenaline. Felt no pain after I got going... until I touched the wall.

Thanks all for the well wishes on my back! It helped.