View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 Kirkland Meet Results

Rate this Entry
I took off this morning around 5:15am for my trip over the mountains to the west side of the state again. I checked the pass report and viewed the Dept. of Transportations webcams for the mountain passes, and everything looked okay and good to go, so I didn't bother much in my vehicle selection. I took my normal '83 Toyota pickup (100% 2007 rebuild by me) that I drive on a daily basis, figuring it would be no problem. Well, I got to the base of the mountain pass, and the pass report sign was flashing so I tuned in on the radio to find that my pass was Traction Tires Required.
Great!! "Too late" to turn back and get my wife's car, that would put me over 1 1/2 hours off my schedule and would've made for issues, so I just forged on with plans to take it easy if needed. Well, the snow got heavier and heavier, not really a lot on the roadway yet, but I knew the west side of the slope would get thicker...this is also the downhill side for the direction I was traveling.
Well, I was going slow and easy, and on the downhill had a left turn coming ahead. My foot barely touched the brake pedal, and WHHHHEEEEEEEE!!!!!! I was skiing! In my truck!! Fortunately swimmers are the only ones up this early on a Sunday morning (and quite a few insane skiers), so I had the whole highway to manuever my truck around to get it under control. No problems, other than raising my heartrate to the EN3 level really quickly!!
I'm sure I left those tracks in the snow of a spinning, sliding vehicle that we've all seen before and wondered how it ended up.
Good news is that I made it down okay, swam the meet, and the return trip home at 1:00 in the afternoon was without incident. No snow at all on the roadway in fact!

----------------------------------------------------

Started off with a nice stretched out 1000ish worth of Freestyle, with a few lengths of Fly drill mixed in near the end. One pace 50 Free, which I did a :30. Zero diving, just a little stretch out in the hot showers.
I hadn't done much fly at all this past week, let alone the past month since I began having shoulder soreness a while back. But I never really did a lot of fly in practice to begin with, so I figured I'd be okay.

200 Fly - 2:07.50 - New LMSC Record 35-39
27.75 / 32.09 (59.84)
32.98 / 34.68 <--- UGH!! at the 175, and That Guy was coming, but thankfully it was SCY, not SCM
I looked back at my swim results database, and this is actually my 4th fastest 200 Fly for me, with my fastest being a 2:06.30. I was on track to better that today, till somebody was throwing pianos in the pool. I got hit with a small one, but a few other big ones hit too!

200 IM - 2:11.14
27.57 / 34.76 / 39.37 / 29.44
My fastest time in over 2 years. I know I can improve on this race all around. I was really only happy with the final split.

7 heats of 50 Fly rest, then...

50 Fly - 26.23
Right on par with where I've been when I swim this event...the one 50 I don't mind swimming. I almost kissed the wall on the turn taking a short stroke and almost regretted it.

Afterward, I did a 300+ straight swim at a quick pace during the 10 minute break. I was probably going around 1:10-12 per 100 during it. My body needed to get a little jump start to it for the last couple events, rather than just having some EZ swimming in the 14 yard long cooldown area.

100 Fly - 57.77
27.03 / 30.74
I would've like to go faster, but you can't have everything all the time. At least my kick respond to my brain's command on the final 25, so I could drive through the waves of the leader next to me who went a :53

200 Free - 1:55.81
26.75 / 30.03
30.12 / 28.91
I was happy with this race, and it was the fastest 200 Free I'd done in years too! I need to be able to bring down the middle two 50s into the :28 range as well, but that will come later in the season. My kicking training is what brought me home on this race.

Submit "Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 Kirkland Meet Results" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 Kirkland Meet Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 Kirkland Meet Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 Kirkland Meet Results" to Google

Comments

nice adrenaline rush to start off the day... I'm in awe of that 200 fly; I still can't do more than a couple of lengths without totally fading.
    Nice swims, James. How was the meet overall? Just looking at the results it seemed to be a smaller meet than the last couple years.
    Very nice James! I really like your 200 free. It looks like you had some gas left in the tank. Nice job!
    Great job! Two of my teammates got hit by a piano this weekend on the 200 fly (1:10/1:22 & 1:05/1:14.5). Glad yours was just a baby grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    nice adrenaline rush to start off the day... I'm in awe of that 200 fly; I still can't do more than a couple of lengths without totally fading.
    Thanks Alex! Fly doesn't come easy. I've been doing it since I was 7 years old, and was a natural at it. Some people are made for it, and others are made for that evil frog kicking thing. Practice more and more at it, and one day you'll be the "talk of the meets" when you're always doing the 200 Fly as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice swims, James. How was the meet overall? Just looking at the results it seemed to be a smaller meet than the last couple years.
    Thanks Kirk. The meet was good overall. I actually liked the speediness of the meet from having it less populated. I was able to get home over the pass and at my house by 3:30pm. Last year the sun had already set before I was out of the mountains.
    Speedwise, the events were pretty good. Lots of competition in just about every event. The only event that didn't have "a lot" of speedy guys was the 200 Free. Cejih and myself were side by side (well, I was chasing).
    I do like coming to this particular PNA meet though, because the Lake Washington masters come out in full force, and they have a strong crew of younger fast guys to race. There are a couple young women out there that you have to watch out for as well...as one of them one the entire 100 Breast event.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Very nice James! I really like your 200 free. It looks like you had some gas left in the tank. Nice job!
    Thanks Joel! The 200 Free was my last event, and I did have a bit left. My "warmup swim" 300 at the midpoint break session is really what rejuvinated me to have the strength to keep going. I knew my training would carry me, and my plan was to cruise the 100, increase the kick on the 2nd 100, with 100% overload kicking in the final 50. Cejih (the leader) took off as well on the final 50, and I just tried to hang with him. Next time I'll give a little more in the middle. The 200 Free is a really "touchy" event. It can bite you really hard if you do it wrong, or you can finish the race and be ticked at yourself for having wayyyyy too much left in the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    Great job! Two of my teammates got hit by a piano this weekend on the 200 fly (1:10/1:22 & 1:05/1:14.5). Glad yours was just a baby grand.
    Thanks Pete! 200 Fly is another event that is touchy. I like to take it out strong, and see what I have left, because traditionally I just can't bring it back strong, so I figure might as well go where I can.