View RSS Feed

David W Cochran

Monday, Feb 18 - Meet Resuts

Rate this Entry
Sort of a mixed bag. Here's times compared with last year- this year first, last year second

50 Free - 29.5; 29.44 - But my goggles came off on my dive and hung around my upper lip, so between the distraction, drag, and not being able to see the wall for my turn clearly, I figure I did ok

100 Free - 1:02.62; 1:02.88 a little improvement

200 Free - 2:22.07; 2:19.12 my last 50 was a 35.62 compared to 36.19 (2nd) and 37.15 (3rd) - I cruised to much in the middle

500 Free - 6:25.37; 6:23.57 again I cruised too much in the middle - my last 100 was 1:14.6; but I went 1:18.5; 1:20.2; and 1:20.1 in the middle - I lost concentration

1650 Free - 21:47.79; 22:08.46 - Ok 21 seconds better

50 Back - 33.83; 34.77 - Ok almost a second faster

100 Back - 1:12.51; 1:14.29 - Another good improvement - 1.8 seconds

200 Back - 2:42.09; 2:41.29 - .8 seconds slower; thought I was going to cruise it much like last year, but I just didn't have it; couldn't breathe and even did 3 open turns so I could get air; don't know what was wrong - except for the looming 200 IM in 17 minutes

50 Fly - 36.87 - first time ever - last event on Saturday and I just tried to stay long and smooth

200 IM 2:53.89 - first time ever - Last event of meet; once again jus wanted to stay long and smooth and ruin myself on the fly; then I had no sprint left in me

Sort of seems like I did an awful lot of work the past year for very little improvement. I did have some pretty significant distractions last year and leading up to the meet, but still. I think a lot of it was mental doing some new things and not enough work on sprinting. Focusing on yardage meant I worked more on pacing. So, I don't know how to sprint the 50's and 100's or hold on to the 200's and 500. Just my thoughts.

Now I'm thinking I should forget about doing 5000+ yard workouts and getting to 600 miles this year. Instead, I should cut back to 4000 - 4500 yards and work on speed. Slow the interval, increase the pace and gradually work both back down. Also, I need to work in a true sprint workout week, and maybe have one distance workout a week. The other thing to work on is kickinng and breathing (more strokes per breath).

Think I should also find some more meets to swim in for practice and feedback.

Submit "Monday, Feb 18 - Meet Resuts" to Digg Submit "Monday, Feb 18 - Meet Resuts" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Feb 18 - Meet Resuts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Feb 18 - Meet Resuts" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice job! Lots of improvements as well. Maybe one day you'll add a 200 Fly to the mix
    Nice meet David! You had a lot of time drops. The 2IM is a tough one no matter where it is scheduled in the meet. Great job!!
    I think it's tough to build speed, work on pacing, and improve all the strokes at the same time... it's pretty maddening actually. Looks like the high volume helped your pace, endurance in that 1650. I'm trying to work on having a little bit of everything in my workouts every week, but at some point you have to decide where your focus is going to be (the 50-100s; the middle-d; long-d).

P.s. I'd love to be swimming your times going into our state meet in a month, but--sigh--it won't happen this year!
    I am a bit late, but gotta say I was impressed with your swims at Auburn. As Leslie always says, "distance kills speed." Even though you have been doing a lot of endurance-based sets, sometimes IMHO it zaps away the ability to pace a 200 or 500 at a higher tempo. Also, not having a ton of meets to compare perceived effort to actual time makes it difficult to find a strong, fast pace just below all out. A great meet all around, especially when taking into consideration some of the trials your last year has brought.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job! Lots of improvements as well. Maybe one day you'll add a 200 Fly to the mix
    But I gotta figur out how to swim a 100 fly first.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Nice meet David! You had a lot of time drops. The 2IM is a tough one no matter where it is scheduled in the meet. Great job!!
    I appreciate it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    I think it's tough to build speed, work on pacing, and improve all the strokes at the same time... it's pretty maddening actually. Looks like the high volume helped your pace, endurance in that 1650. I'm trying to work on having a little bit of everything in my workouts every week, but at some point you have to decide where your focus is going to be (the 50-100s; the middle-d; long-d).

P.s. I'd love to be swimming your times going into our state meet in a month, but--sigh--it won't happen this year!
    I am still amazed at the IM work you are doing. I am limited to a couple of 200 IM's because I can't swim more than a 50 fly once or twice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I am a bit late, but gotta say I was impressed with your swims at Auburn. As Leslie always says, "distance kills speed." Even though you have been doing a lot of endurance-based sets, sometimes IMHO it zaps away the ability to pace a 200 or 500 at a higher tempo. Also, not having a ton of meets to compare perceived effort to actual time makes it difficult to find a strong, fast pace just below all out. A great meet all around, especially when taking into consideration some of the trials your last year has brought.
    Thanks for the comments. I imagine you are looking forward to having some warm weather again.
    I imagine you are looking forward to having some warm weather again.
    Only for OW season to start back up