View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Encouraging day after break

Rate this Entry
by , February 18th, 2013 at 08:48 PM (462 Views)
After taking my first day completely out of the water since January 25, and only my third day without swimming all year, I was hoping I would feel a little faster and more rested. I was fighting off a cold yesterday, so I knew I couldn't get my hopes up too much... and I'm beginning to doubt the efficacy of my "swim to the breaking point, swim some more, and THEN take a day off" program. Whatever, you really can't tell if it's a limit if you don't try to push past it now and again.

Today I did 3600 SCY and took a really long time to do so, but swam faster in the process--so longer rests, harder swims was the theme:

WARM-UP (19 minutes):
400 EZ swim on 7:30 (7:00)
4 x 100 pull/free on 1:50 (1:33-1:35)
4 x 50 free on 1:00 (:37-:39)

MAIN SETS (60 minutes):
5 x 100 IM on 3:00 (1:33-1:36)
10 x 100 on 3:00 alt. Free/Breast (frees in 1:15-1:19; breast in 1:44-1:48)
5 x 100 Back on 2:15 (1:39-1:48)

COOL-DOWN:
600 EZ swim, done as:
-100 free EZ
-100 pull
-100 back pull
-100 back
-100 breast
-100 free

This is encouraging because of the fast times. Originally I'd planned to do a 100s day, something like I did last week (intervals at 1:45-2:15, depending on the stroke), but Scotty showed up about half way into my warm-up and said he was doing 100s too. After warm-up he suggested 5 x 100 IM, 5 x 100 breast, 5 x 100 free all on 3:00; he's focusing on the 50s and the 100 IM, 100 breast for the Whitefish Bay meet. I need to focus on the 200s and the 400IM, but I also need a speed day now and again, so this was good for me. I convinced him to alternate free and breast and that worked out really well for both of us. Scotty's not doing any backstroke (except in the IM) for the next meet, but that's going to be something of a focus for me (especially at the 100-200 distances) through the state meet, so I added on the last set of 100s back while he was doing his cool-down. We realized too late that I probably should have swum the backs when he was doing the breast (our times would have been much closer and we would have pushed each other pretty good). On the 100 free we were really close, I touched him out on the first rep and was close on the last one, but he was maybe half a body length ahead on the three in the middle. Still, I'm getting closer... He used to beat me in the free as badly as he beats me now in breast and fly!

Tomorrow... thigh thrashing, core crunching conditioning and kick sets. I'm going to hit the dolphins pretty hard and do a lot of breast 50s, alternating board, streamline, and full stroke.

Plans for the Whitefish Bay meet, for me, include:
Event #2 = 400 IM
Event #4 = 200 Back
Event #6 = 200 Free
Event #12 = 200 IM
Event #15 = 200 Breast

1200-yards of torture; looking for redemption on the 200 IM!

Submit "Encouraging day after break" to Digg Submit "Encouraging day after break" to del.icio.us Submit "Encouraging day after break" to StumbleUpon Submit "Encouraging day after break" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yeah, having upped my schedule lately, I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of swimming 6-7 days per week as a masters. I am not even doing the big yardage day that you do once a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    Yeah, having upped my schedule lately, I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of swimming 6-7 days per week as a masters. I am not even doing the big yardage day that you do once a week.
    I love to swim everyday; they just can't all be premium workouts. I do miss just getting in and swimming a couple of miles straight at a nice soothing, easy aerobic pace... maybe later this spring or summer, I'll start doing that again.

BTW, I forgot to mention I tried 100 back today with the pull-buoy in my cool-down to see what would happen... it's a lot slower to be sure with the buoy (I'm probably a stronger kicker on my back than on my front crawl), and where I noticed the fishtailing was precisely when I stopped or slowed rotation at the hip. The hip and shoulder have to rotate at the same time, head has to stay steady... if only the shoulder rotates, taking the head with it rather than the hip, then that's when you're going to have an exaggerated fishtailing.