View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 20 - Wednesday am IM

Rate this Entry
I had another rough sleep night last night. I woke up around 1.30am with lots of things rattling around related to my upcoming saudi trip. I must have fallen asleep again around 3am and when the alarm went off at 4.30 It was hard getting up. I was a little sluggish in the warm up but got going and the lack of sleep did not affect me too bad. I suspect I will be tired tonight.

Warmup
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
6x200 IMs descend 1-3, 4-6 on 2.50

Main set
8x50 breast on 50
4x100 fly with flippers on 1.20
3x200 back on 2.45
10x50 free on 35
10x50 with flippers on 30

Warm down

Total 4500

I went 2.25 on the 200s which I was really happy with, and then pretty comfortably made the 50s on 35 holding 32-33. The 50s with flippers were tough and I missed a few but just turned and went again. After about 6 I was off a couple seconds on the send off but got back on for the last 4. This is the first time I have made this set. Short swims with flippers I always find tough and in particular my legs always burn. The lactic acid build up in the legs combined with more time under water somehow make this much harder than it should be.

Submit "Week 20 - Wednesday am IM" to Digg Submit "Week 20 - Wednesday am IM" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 20 - Wednesday am IM" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 20 - Wednesday am IM" to Google

Updated February 20th, 2013 at 02:40 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You are doing great! The 10x50 on 30 is really tough, and I can quite agree with the lactic leg burn from fins doing hard effort 50s/100s. What is the best most marvelous aspect about your training at this point, more than your excellent adaptation and swimming fitness progress including the double sessions, is the lack of injury and reasonable good health. The sleeping, colds, etc., are normal life age based, family & work life wear and tear on us all. The support from the wife and kids are really awesome too! I will definitely be observing your USMS nationals swims from my PC & phone, no pressure-just friendly support
    Frank, I really appreciate the moral support. I check out your workouts everyday and despite not meeting in person(yet) I feel a kindred spirit. I honestly think the second go around has been better on lots of fronts. I am pushing hard but in the back of my head there is not the same pressure as there was in college and as such I am trying to listen to my body and having fun along the way which I firmly believe helps. My family have been awesome and I owe them some major payback this summer. It's highly likely I will pull back a little over the summer. At this point I am not planning on doing summer nationals. Instead i will work with my coach on a program for worlds next year. I hope we both stay injury free and both achieve our goals at our respective spring(and your case summer) meets. I too will be cheering you on in your OW nationals and Pan Am swims.