View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

02.21.13 - Thursday workout

Rate this Entry
by , February 21st, 2013 at 01:40 PM (617 Views)
Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Danny. Sprint day! Another of Leslie's workouts. Not as much yardage but hurts just the same.

SCY

600 Warm up

4 x 100 - 2:00, odds IM drill, evens IM kick
4 x 50 - 1:00 Descend to 200 pace
50 Easy

8 x 25 SDK w/ fins - :40 (odds on back, evens on front)
50 Easy

8 x 25 IM Order x 2 - :40 burst 15m, cruise
50 Easy

3 x (50 stroke Smooth + :10s rest + 25 stroke @ 100 pace + :15s rest + 50 stroke AFAP) - 2:30
* Did 1 each of fly/back/br
50 Easy
3 x (50 Smooth + :10s rest + 25 @ 100 pace + :15s rest + 50 AFAP) - 2:30
* All three rounds free
200 Easy

3 x 25 fly kick w/ fins - :40, hard
3 x 50 fly kick w/ fins - 1:00, easy
3 x 75 fly kick w/ fins - 1:45, hard, rest :10s @ each 25
2 x 100 br kick - 2:00

200 Cool down

(3600 Total)

Submit "02.21.13 - Thursday workout" to Digg Submit "02.21.13 - Thursday workout" to del.icio.us Submit "02.21.13 - Thursday workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "02.21.13 - Thursday workout" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Since you resumed training right away after the meet, I was wondering if your taper did anything to facilitate slightly more speed in your workouts this week or perhaps become overall a bit stronger in the water.
    Not as much yardage but hurts just the same. ... (3600 Total)
    IMO, 3600 is actually quite a lot when going really hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Since you resumed training right away after the meet, I was wondering if your taper did anything to facilitate slightly more speed in your workouts this week or perhaps become overall a bit stronger in the water.
    I got a drag suit for Christmas and haven't used it until now because I didn't want to change much before the meet. I've used it every day since and I'm faster than I was before the meet. That's noticeable. It could be the taper but it could be other things as well. It might be that I've convinced myself I can push myself a little harder. I always have big dreams about what I'm going to do next year. Or maybe I discovered something (subconsciously) at the meet that has improved my technique. It might also be that I've rested enough and started building more muscle mass. Maybe I am a bit stronger.

Realistically, I'm just rested and recovered from the 5k/day pounding I gave myself over the last couple months. It happens every year. I'll see how it goes Monday. If I still haven't slowed down any, I'm going to have to consider that maybe something else is happening here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    IMO, 3600 is actually quite a lot when going really hard.
    Yes, it definitely is. I might be bemoaning the loss of mileage sprint days do to my GTD stats .
    Updated February 21st, 2013 at 05:46 PM by pmccoy
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    I got a drag suit for Christmas... I've used it every day since and I'm faster than I was before the meet. That's noticeable. ... It might be that I've convinced myself I can push myself a little harder... big dreams about what I'm going to do...meet that has improved my technique....I've rested enough and started building more muscle mass...I am a bit stronger...rested and recovered from the 5k/day pounding I gave myself over the last couple months.
    It looks to me that you are well positioned to make additional progress as the mid season training evolves towards more quality and race specific preparation. When using the drag suit, always do some fast swimming without it as well, to gain the maximum benefit performing as best possible stroke form, body position in the water, and underwater skills off the turns.

In season, or mid-season tapers generally help you to another level, as a larger macro cycle of work, recovery, work, rest. Now that you have a good aerobic base and some speed, quality swimming with intervals suitable to sustain your race pace efforts, will further improve your competitive fitness.

Do not be overly concerned with your aerobic base now as you will maintain that with longer warm down swims after the quality sets, and also on the recovery oriented workout sessions, which are needed to have the best adaptation results from the quality workout sessions.

Your successful recent meet performances as a whole, are a strong indication you are ready to take on the next phase of training. Best wishes for your ongoing good health and effective quality workouts!
    I agree with Frank's comments!

I am so jealous that you have a Feb. meet at a fantastic pool. That really seems like the ideal time and place to do a mid-season taper. I haven't swum at that meet in many years.

I like that main set. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I am so jealous that you have a Feb. meet at a fantastic pool. That really seems like the ideal time and place to do a mid-season taper.
    I agree with Fort. I am considering participating in that meet next year if the funds are available and schedule permits.
    Great comments! Never thought jumping in the pool a few years ago for a little fitness would lead to finding the next level. There's an outside chance I could swim at Indy but Auburn is really our focus event for the year. Unfortunately, the local events I could do tend to be sprint focused which I'm not terribly good at. Travel for meets is impractical (kids/other activities). Maybe I need to start considering 3 or 4 meets a year and running through a taper cycle for each one?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I am so jealous that you have a Feb. meet at a fantastic pool. That really seems like the ideal time and place to do a mid-season taper. I haven't swum at that meet in many years.

I like that main set. :-)
    I'm still surprised they let me in the Auburn pool .

Main set was fun today... especially the fly iteration. My teammates did:

50 Smooth - 1:00
    25 @ 100 Pace - :30
    50 AFAP - 1:00

I opted for the broken 125. Both options appeared to be valid on the printout and we all started each 125 at the same time... so no big deal. But, which one was the intent of the set?
    I meant them to be broken 125s.

I like your idea of tapering for 3-4 meets per year. I usually do 3 full tapers a year in each course. Good for your body to have some rest too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    Great comments! Never thought jumping in the pool a few years ago for a little fitness would lead to finding the next level. There's an outside chance I could swim at Indy but Auburn is really our focus event for the year. Unfortunately, the local events I could do tend to be sprint focused which I'm not terribly good at. Travel for meets is impractical (kids/other activities). Maybe I need to start considering 3 or 4 meets a year and running through a taper cycle for each one?
    I understand your circumstances, similar in some ways to mine. If you end up not doing Indy, then use the sprint focused events to improve in that area and/or set up a casual event about the same time as Indy, such a team intramural meet, or dual/tri meets with other teams, etc. Something that can be worked out with the facilities with or without USMS sanctions.

The more important issue is having the chance to develop yourself with quality workouts in conjunction with near term challenging goals to strive for. Then do it again, as able during LCM season, then SCM season, each time developing better competitive fitness, racing skills, and fun ways to challenge yourself.