View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

02.22.13 - Friday workout

Rate this Entry
by , February 22nd, 2013 at 03:06 PM (1279 Views)
Swam w/ Dave and Dave. Donated apheresis after the workout and discovered a new benefit to shaving. The nurse used excessive tape to hold the tubing to my wrists. It was nice when they removed the tape and it didn't pull off swaths of hair with it. Tape removal turns out to be one of the most painful parts of the whole thing second only to the device that pricks your finger for blood testing. Needles in the arm are not big deal... as long as I don't watch.

I still appear to have some taper left. The 400 IMs we did today weren't my fastest but they were smooth and I descended them.

SCY

650 Warm up

4 rounds of (Stroke=free, fly, bk, br by round)
* 3 rounds of:
** 2 x 25 - :40 stroke (easy/hard)
** 2 x 25 kick - :40 (easy/hard)
* 400 IM - 6:00 (5:50, 5:40, 5:35, 5:30)

5 Rounds of:
* 100 hard free - 1:20 (1:09, 1:10, 1:08, 1:08, 1:05)
* 50 easy free - :50

200 Cool down

(4400 Total)

Submit "02.22.13 - Friday workout" to Digg Submit "02.22.13 - Friday workout" to del.icio.us Submit "02.22.13 - Friday workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "02.22.13 - Friday workout" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

My dad has been a platelet donor for most of my life. I thought it was due to his being a generally altruistic person, but when I lived in Boston I became a donor too and realized that at least part of his motivation was all the snacks you get afterwards.

I don't know how you still have taper. I'm wrecked.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    My dad has been a platelet donor for most of my life. I thought it was due to his being a generally altruistic person, but when I lived in Boston I became a donor too and realized that at least part of his motivation was all the snacks you get afterwards.

I don't know how you still have taper. I'm wrecked.
    One day, they went "healthy" and took away all the chocolate. I explained that this course of action could alter my participation. The chocolate was back in a couple weeks . In addition to great snacks, I'm showered with t-shirts (which comprise about 50% of my wardrobe), key chains, pens and mugs. Any idea what a unit of platelets goes for these days? You can just about trade one for an ounce of gold. I'm not surprised by the giveaways. Kidding aside, they occasionally match me up with cancer patients that respond well to my blood. That's pretty cool.

As for taper, I was doing 35000 yds/week before taper. We take 12 days prior to the meet with 2000 yds/day of high rest speed work. As per the blog discussion yesterday, I'm hoping the time off allowed me to build some muscle and I'm just stronger now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    One day, they went "healthy" and took away all the chocolate. I explained that this course of action could alter my participation. The chocolate was back in a couple weeks . In addition to great snacks, I'm showered with t-shirts (which comprise about 50% of my wardrobe), key chains, pens and mugs. Any idea what a unit of platelets goes for these days? You can just about trade one for an ounce of gold. I'm not surprised by the giveaways. Kidding aside, they occasionally match me up with cancer patients that respond well to my blood. That's pretty cool.

As for taper, I was doing 35000 yds/week before taper. We take 12 days prior to the meet with 2000 yds/day of high rest speed work. As per the blog discussion yesterday, I'm hoping the time off allowed me to build some muscle and I'm just stronger now.
    My favorite giveaway my dad got were towels. I still have one.

I tried to become a platelet donor when I moved here but LifeSouth was really weird about it and Red Cross isn't convenient. I should check on that again. They loved me at the donor center in Boston because apparently I have a lot of platelets.
    I am due to offer a pint on Mar 13. I will try to beat my time of filling the bag, I think it's 6:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I am due to offer a pint on Mar 13. I will try to beat my time of filling the bag, I think it's 6:00.
    We should race. My 400IM vs. you filling up a bag with blood. Remember, the time doesn't count if you can't make it to the cantina without passing out.
    Updated February 22nd, 2013 at 05:40 PM by pmccoy