View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

6000 yards...

Rate this Entry
by , February 23rd, 2013 at 05:57 PM (1560 Views)
My legs were still pretty wasted today from yesterday's kick sets, especially the breast, and the shoulder was still stiff, though the ibuprofen I took about an hour before I began finally started to kick in toward the end of the first set. Nevertheless, I thought it would be wise to drop the last set... don't want to push it over the limit and not be able to make the meet... this workout was already coming at the end of a pretty tough couple of weeks. Here's what I ended up doing:

Warm-up:
6 x 200 alt free/pull, only enough rest to grab the buoy or put it back on the deck

Main Sets:
200 IM on 4:00 (3:30s?... this did not feel comfy)
12 x 100 on 2:15ish (3 x thru 400 IM order... this sucked, I was way too tired to do fly and breast!)
200 IM on 4:00 (mid 3:30s)
6 x 200 alt. free and back on 4:00 (frees 2:52-2:59, bk 3:23-3:30)
Masters minute
200 IM on 4:00 (mid 3:30s)
6 x 200 alt breast and free on 4:00 (breast in 3:44-3:55; frees 3:05-3:15)
Masters minute
200 IM on 4:00 (3:40ish)

Cool-down:
8 x 50 alt free and pull on 1:00

6000 SCY/2 hrs, 15 mins

Submit "6000 yards..." to Digg Submit "6000 yards..." to del.icio.us Submit "6000 yards..." to StumbleUpon Submit "6000 yards..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It's amazing how much a long IM workout can hurt. Way to keep pushing on a long workout by anyone's standard. Good job Alex.
    When is your next meet? Are you planning to do any tapering?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    It's amazing how much a long IM workout can hurt. Way to keep pushing on a long workout by anyone's standard. Good job Alex.
    Thanks... I'm still just floored by how much fly can take out of me... my endurance is pretty good on the other strokes (if not my speed), but fly endurance is coming very slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    When is your next meet? Are you planning to do any tapering?
    Thanks for asking. Next meet is next Sunday (3/3) and I am planning on tapering a little bit, but because I'm doing 400 IM, 200 IM, back, free, and breast I'm not going to taper much. It'll be a lactic acid bath, so I have to keep pushing the next few days on the hard swimming in the 2:45 to 7:00 range. Then I'll ease up around Wednesday, maybe do some short bursts and technique work at the end of the week... definitely work on the starts again.
    Nice workout with IM's to boot. I don't do IM's anymore lol. I will hold 1:30 and use my "toys"
    thanks