View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Dress rehearsal...

Rate this Entry
by , February 25th, 2013 at 11:59 PM (1610 Views)
I'm still pretty tired even though yesterday's swim was EZ; though all the kick work was pretty tiring after a hard week on the legs... and I could have not done the 50 sprint at the end. Saturday afternoon's 6000-yard workout seems like ages ago, but it was only 48 hours... I was struggling with what to do today. I didn't want to take it too EZ, because I'm going to taper at the end of the week, but don't want to overdo it and not be able to get in any decent workouts at all this week. I decided after my 1000 warm-up just to do all of my events for this coming weekend... somewhat relaxed, but hard time trials off the blocks (that sounds oxymoronic, I know... I guess it's more accurate to say I was pushing, but holding back enough to feel well in control the whole time). Knowing that the rests between some of the events were not going to be very long at all, I didn't rest too long today: 1:30-3:00 between "events." We'll call this practice "meet" the "meat" of my workout.

This was also a good chance for me to practice going off the blocks, something I never do except the day before a meet. I had very clean entries today, no goggle problems,etc. I'm feeling better about the block starts now because I don't have to think/worry about it so much... just get up there and do it (wish I could say the same about my fly after 50-75 yards!).

WARM-UP:
400 swim on 7:30 (6:50)
4 x 100 on 1:50 (1:30-1:32)
4 x 50 on 1:00 (:39-:41)

MEAT:
25 EZ
400 IM off the blocks... 7:05
25 EZ recovery
2:00 rest
200 Back in 3:27
25 EZ recovery
1:30 rest
200 Free off the blocks (relaxed; 2:53)
2:30 rest
200 IM off the blocks (3:24?)
1:30 rest
200 Breast off the blocks (3:42-3:44)
25 recovery swim

COOL-DOWN:
700 yards EZ free

3000 yards/70 minutes

Notes: Swam all events in meet order for this coming Sunday. Basically I did my whole meet in under 30 minutes; and I think the lack of recovery on the last three events really started to take its toll on the times... even though I was really just shooting for 85-95% effort (the 200 free was way too EZ an effort, I should have been panting a lot harder after that!). A good dress rehearsal for the meet coming up on Sunday, well, minus the swim cap and meet-day jammers... I was within 3-5 secs of all my seed times (3 under for 2BK, 5 over for 4IM), but I've got a better idea about where I can push myself and in which events.

And, honestly, I never felt "fresh" today... just tired and tight even toward the end of my warm-up. It could be that I needed more recovery after Saturday, or it could be that I didn't get to the Y until almost 8P today, and was already too tired from the day. Don't know. Scotty and I are meeting for 25s tomorrow... see if a little sprint work will get me firing on all cylinders again before Wednesday's hard day; the last really hard one before the real thing this weekend.

Submit "Dress rehearsal..." to Digg Submit "Dress rehearsal..." to del.icio.us Submit "Dress rehearsal..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Dress rehearsal..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments