View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , February 28th, 2013 at 04:41 PM (625 Views)
SCY@Fort Myers Aquatic Center
Air temp of 68, pool at 83, 100% water clarity.
Cloudy sky mostly then became sunny, with humidity at 75%

Warm up
10 min deck dryland band/stretches
200 FR DPS ABPT
300 FR as 4(25 K-w/scull, 50 DPS-6) w/snorkel
600 FR as 4(50 RA/LA, 100 DPS 5) w/snorkel-agility paddles
20x25 FR on :30, smooth DPS-6, no SDK, breath each stroke cycle, *15s/14s

*Set 1*
200 BR Kick w/bd
300 BR as 4(25K, 50 Swim) w/snorkel
2(4x25 BR on :40, :40 rest) smooth effort, *17s

*Set 2*
200 BK Kick w/SDK-6
600 BK as 4(50DA, 100 DPS-6, SDK-6) w/agility paddles
2(4x25 BK on :30, :30 rest) smooth effort, SDK-8, *15s

*Set 3*
200 DK/bk
300 Fly as 4(50RA/LA, 25 DPS-6, SDK-6)
600 Fly as 4(50DK w/scull, 100 DPS-6) w/snorkel
2(4x25 Fly on :30, :30 rest) smooth DPS-6, SDK-6, breath each stroke, *15s/14s

*Set 4*
2x500 FR with 1:00 rest
#1 as DPS-5/6 w/snorkel-agility paddles as steady state effort
#2 as steady smooth swim, DPS-6, ABPT

Warm down
200 EZ FR/BK
10 min deck dryland band/stretches

Comments:
Yesterday after the workout my arms ached. I worked the band and stretches on and off up to just before sleeping. Also made my own tissue recovery supplement including l-arginine and l-glutamine, which appears to have been helpful (I have sampled similar types of commercial products that were effective, but too expensive and high margin per listed ingredients). With good sleeping, this morning my arms and shoulders were nearly recovered with no aching and soreness.

The session today was all about feeling good in the water towards swimming as efficient as possible. Swimming the last 500 Freestyle felt great after taking off the snorkel and agility paddles with the stroke DPS, turns, and underwater streamling all coming together for an enjoyable swim with a gradual buildup to moderate effort. Even the warm water did not bother me so much as it was all EZ and moderate swimming.

Submit "Thursday, February 28, 2013" to Digg Submit "Thursday, February 28, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, February 28, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, February 28, 2013" to Google

Updated February 28th, 2013 at 05:15 PM by fdtotten

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Inquiring minds want to know: how do you measure water clarity? Is this your subjective assessment or some objective measurement?

i also would be interested in your supplement experiences, impacts, recommendations.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Inquiring minds want to know: how do you measure water clarity? Is this your subjective assessment or some objective measurement?

i also would be interested in your supplement experiences, impacts, recommendations.
    FGCU has a nephelometer to measure water turbidity. FMAC does not, so that measurement only represents my visual subjective assessment. The NSF standard for water clarity is 0.5 nephelometric turbidity units (NTUs). NTU is measured by the use of a device called a nephelometer. It measures particles by measurement devices installed on many commercial pool systems.

I do not have any formal training in nutrition, pharmaceutical ingredients, and herbs. What I have done is to review scientific research and evidence based studies for my clients, as well as for both myself and my wife as related to our health concerns and interests. Generally I am glad to share what I have learned and the information source(s) accordingly, but I am not accredited or certified in any way.

I tried to learn how to avoid unnecessary usage and generally overpriced OTC items as able, via lifestyle and real food nutrition. Having said that, there are ways supplementation can make a difference, but everyone is different. The current RDI is still based on the older RDA from 1968, so consumers need to do their homework regarding any OTC item and/or consult with their doctor(s).
    Updated March 1st, 2013 at 06:49 AM by fdtotten