View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thurs, Feb. 28, 2013 5:00-6:00 at the Y

Rate this Entry
Finished up my month of February with 125,750 Yards in 25 sessions (Avg. of 5030 per session). I did enter into the February Fitness Challenge sponsored by the Tualitan Hills Barracudas Masters team in Beaverton, Oregon...and having my FLOG available was very very handy for this.

My (production needed) 10 hour days at work are killing me, and will be killing me for the next week too. I have to be awake at 3:30am to be at work for a 4:00am start time. I'm SOOOOOOO lucky that I'm the head mechanic and I GET TO come in at the beginning to get the line turned on and everything set up for production. Makes for a really crummy day when I'm running on 5 hours of sleep or less after my normal evening swim time slot. My muscles just hurt tonight and I was sluggish. I blame it on the lack of sleep for sure.

I did tonight's workout on my own in the YMCA lap lanes, as my team is off tonight with their Champs meet weekend starting tomorrow. I just did a simple workout, acting more like a lap swimmer than a swim teamer. Shared a lane with a tri-guy in training for the spring/summer season.

Warmup:

300 Free
500 Free Pull
200 Streamline Kick on back
(1000/1000)

10 x 50 SDK w/ short fins @ :45 (:40s)
:20 rest
10 x 50 Free Pull @ :40 (:33-35s)
(1000/2000)

3 x 200 Free @ :30 rest after first one, :15 rest after the second one
Went 2:25, 2:20, 2:20
1:00 rest
4 x 100 Free @ 1:25/1:20/1:15/1:10 (held 1:07-08)

200 EZ
(1200/3200)

4 x 100 IM @ 1:40 (went 1:12-1:15s)
(400/3600)

400 Free/Back at random EZ

-------------------------------
4000 Yards in 1 hour

Submit "Thurs, Feb. 28, 2013 5:00-6:00 at the Y" to Digg Submit "Thurs, Feb. 28, 2013 5:00-6:00 at the Y" to del.icio.us Submit "Thurs, Feb. 28, 2013 5:00-6:00 at the Y" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thurs, Feb. 28, 2013 5:00-6:00 at the Y" to Google

Comments

I don't know how you do that schedule. And then swim for 2 hours a night. And not to mention all the family stuff. Well, at least, your job is just down the road from your house!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I don't know how you do that schedule. And then swim for 2 hours a night. And not to mention all the family stuff. ...
    That's for sure. How can you get in 25 5k workouts in Feb it only has 28 days! Don't you need to sleep?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I don't know how you do that schedule. And then swim for 2 hours a night. And not to mention all the family stuff. Well, at least, your job is just down the road from your house!
    It's completely nuts right now with these 10 hour days starting me so early. I'm more than most of the women there too with the lack of sleep, but I'm still dedicated (somewhat) to my swimming. I did take tonight off though as a recovery day too...and most likely most of the weekend will be recovery, well, besides my OT work tomorrow morning, and then my drive to Seattle and back to drop of the MIL at the airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That's for sure. How can you get in 25 5k workouts in Feb it only has 28 days! Don't you need to sleep?
    The days I missed were mostly Saturdays, and I was working and actually missed morning practice with the group. OT $$$$ is nice though, and it keeps my boss happy.
    I really got used to the 6000+ yardage workouts, and the tapering the team was doing actually brought me down quite a bit. But we do a lot of high quality/longer rest type of workouts, rather than the "old school" 20 x 100s @ 1:15, etc. Even distance people need the quality work...Leslie says the same thing, and I agree with her now that I've been doing it. I still like to drop tons of short rest yardage every now and then on my own, but I do enjoy the team workouts with the kids.
    we do a lot of high quality/longer rest type of workouts, rather than the "old school" 20 x 100s @ 1:15, etc. Even distance people need the quality work...Leslie says the same thing, and I agree with her now that I've been doing it.
    I agree with this 100%. Ande's SFF tip #1 just seems so obvious now that I think about it: If you want to swim fast in meets, you have to swim fast in practice. I too enjoy old school sets like 10x200 on short rest, but I've found that it's very helpful to do quality work as well, and sometimes it is fun to "push the envelope" with more rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I agree with this 100%. Ande's SFF tip #1 just seems so obvious now that I think about it: If you want to swim fast in meets, you have to swim fast in practice. I too enjoy old school sets like 10x200 on short rest, but I've found that it's very helpful to do quality work as well, and sometimes it is fun to "push the envelope" with more rest.
    I asked my coach John about this, and he said it's basically the new way to get things done without having to kill the swimmer over the long term. He mentioned that my 125,000 yards for the February Fitness Challenge, is probably more comparable to 165,000+ of the "old school" type of yardage training, given what type of stuff I'm doing most of the time.
    Once in a while he'll give us those 100s @ 1:10/1:05 type of stuff, but only minimal reps like four of five...not 40+ 100s like KNelson is doing, or 10x1000s @ 11:12.5