View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

1500... trying to get psyched

Rate this Entry
by , February 28th, 2013 at 10:52 PM (522 Views)
I didn't feel like doing much today; I feel like the last couple of months of really hard work is starting to take its toll as February closes (I'm at 99 miles of swimming as of end of workout today). I decided to try and trust my training to date, instead of trying to swim another hard workout, making me even more tired going into the weekend. Only 1500 SCY:

25 EZ
400 IM off the blocks, but relaxed (7:21)
25 recovery
575 EZ freestyle
200 IM of the blocks; fast--3:15 (a PR, but felt good, not "too" hard)
50 Back (w/ back start): < :45 (felt good about both start and turn on this one)
50 recovery
50 Fly off the blocks (:48)
25 EZ
100 fr cool-down

Felt good about swimming fast and not swimming a ton of yards, or swimming to exhaustion. I'm hoping a few easy days will help me get that mojo back. I'm trying to think of Sunday's meet as a great opportunity to time-trial myself in the middle-d events I've signed up for. I'm not that competitive (except with myself), but I want to leave it all in the pool.

Submit "1500... trying to get psyched" to Digg Submit "1500... trying to get psyched" to del.icio.us Submit "1500... trying to get psyched" to StumbleUpon Submit "1500... trying to get psyched" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You've been working hard and doing great!! A rest or slow down period is well earned. Last year I pushed the yardage hard in March/April/May and again in Oct./Nov./Dec. Both times I seemed to hit a wall where I was worn out and actually swimming slower. I don't think I could have swam through it even if I tried. Rest was my only answer. Sort of what I am trying to do now on a longer term basis - mixing up my workouts (sprint/endurance/distance) - less distance but better overall training and more quality. Keep up the good work and improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by David W Cochran
    You've been working hard and doing great!! A rest or slow down period is well earned. Last year I pushed the yardage hard in March/April/May and again in Oct./Nov./Dec. Both times I seemed to hit a wall where I was worn out and actually swimming slower. I don't think I could have swam through it even if I tried. Rest was my only answer. Sort of what I am trying to do now on a longer term basis - mixing up my workouts (sprint/endurance/distance) - less distance but better overall training and more quality. Keep up the good work and improvements.
    I think I can keep up the distance as long as I'm slowing some of it down to work on technique; my issue in the last couple of months has been hitting the strokes pretty hard (b/c they're all relatively new to me and I want to see how fast I can go), while still trying to do a lot of sprint work and hard freestyle... but you're right, training has to be cyclical otherwise you hit that point of diminishing returns.